Tyres extending over wheel arches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres extending over wheel arches?

Hi all...long time reader, first time poster here. I was wondering if anyone knew the clarification on laws about tyre width. I just bought a set of wheels/tyres, the wheels are 16x8, and I realised after fitting them that the tyres extend beyond the wheel arches, by an inch. The tread/part of the tyre that is in contact with the road is entirely under the arch, which I thought was hat mattered. Someone else told me the laws had changed though, and now I'm not sure?

Does anyone know one way or the other?

Cheers.

The general rule used to be, 'as long as the tyre tread isn't visible from above it's OK'.

It will pass the MOT but it's up to your local traffic cop's mood if they pull you over for it.

Happy first post by the way.

Comment

Cheers mate...the MOT is due in a couple of weeks, so hope you're right!

It doesn't look massively obvious, so hopefully I'll be alright.

Comment

As stated already ,as long as the tread is covered by the arches you'll be fine. If yoy have mud tyres with the grip/tread on the sidewalls then this needs to be within the arch coverage also
        PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

I had massive problems with a local copper when I owned a fairly chunky Hilux pickup. He would pull me over 3-4 times per week and generally harass me over the condition of my vehicle.

His issue was tyre width and wheel arches. I believed they were legal, he did not. It later transpired he was a member of a Land Rover club and just had a vendetta against Jap 4x4s going.

to cut a very long story short, the other posters are right; the tread must be covered by arch. The sidewall can bulge out further than this as long as it is not deemed dangerous to pedestrians in the event of a collision. If your vehicle is wider structurally than your bulgy tyres, you have no worries. Your bumpers might just cover this little issue as they are considered part of the vehicles structure. As are some external mirrors incidentally, but this is open to debate apparently.

Comment

I had the same problem the other year and if i remember right the grey area is up to 13mm fron the arch. Best bet is just to get some wheel arch extensions if you are not sure for the MOT.

Rob
            The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
              I had the same problem the other year and if i remember right the grey area is up to 13mm fron the arch. Best bet is just to get some wheel arch extensions if you are not sure for the MOT.

Rob
              It's not a MOT fail!

Comment

It was apparently last year when i got back over here Quote "all wheels stick out past bodywork - dangerous to other road users" Unquote (from the MOT test cert)....and the 13mm area is what the guy told me and thats all i went off awws i have been out the UK for a while then. Saying that i had taken of the extended arches and had 35's (didnt have time to sort anything as it was straight off the boat).

Just got messed around a bit with the current one and there seems to be a lot of grey areas as one examiner may be more knowledgable and thinks a small problem is ok but then another is extremely strict...i know the rules are open to a certain amount of interpratation but .......

Rob

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                It's not a MOT fail!
                Aye you are right enough from what i can find ....guess the places i have been are just making it up as they go along

http://www.motester.co.uk/CarOwnersG...MOT/MOTQA.aspx

PROTRUDING WHEELSI have recently purchased a set of alloy wheels from [a retailer] for my Ford Focus ST170 [who in turn fitted them to my car].
                They appeared to be look a wider fitment than the original standard wheel even though they were the same size, 215/45/17, and were visibly protruding beyond the wheel arch on the front by approximately 5-6mm. They have also been catching the wheel arches on the front when going over speed ramps or bigger bumps in the road.

A local MOT Testing Station could not clarify whether this protrusion was classed as illegal so I would hope you could provide clarification? Steven Jewitt

As I understand the situation the only way the MOT is affected is if your new wheels actually foul the bodywork or any other part of the vehicle when the wheels are turned lock to lock when the vehicle is sitting in its normal position.

Remember too that your vehicle has to comply with 'construction and use' regulations which are not necessarily the same as the regulations regarding the MOT. Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with respect to those requirements. - MOTT

About the wheels
                http://www.motester.co.uk/Home/MOTChecklist.aspx

MOT Test of Tyres
                Interior

A tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) warning lamp must be operative and not indicating a fault in the system

(On vehicles first used on or after 1st January 2012).

Tyre condition

The reason for failure with respect to tyre wear is:

"The grooves of the tread pattern are not at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising: the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread around the entire outer circumference of the tyre".

Tyres must be correctly matched with regard to:

Type

Size

Structure

Fitted in accordance with tyre sidewall markings – eg direction of rotation or ‘outside’ in case of asymmetric tyres.

NB. type or structure but not both.

Tyres on the same axle must be of the same structure and size.

Also examined:

General condition of tyre

Condition of valve

Tyres fail if they have serious cuts, bulges or other damage.

The wear on the tyre is checked with a tyre tread depth gauge to ensure compliance.

The tyres are examined to ensure that there is no fouling with any part of the vehicle, unless part of the steering mechanism design.

Notes:

1. Although under-inflation is not in itself a reason for failure (on vehicles on which the TPMS test is applicable, if a fault is indicated by the TPMS then that will be a fail), a brake test may be inadvisable because of possible damage, and it may affect headlamp alignment. The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT.

2. From 2012, Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) will form part of the MOT Test. Vehicles on which TPMS was originally fitted will have to have it fully operable. When this test is implemented one faulty sensor will result in a fail.

Wheel condition

Damage

Distortion

Cracks

Distorted bead rim

Securely attached to the vehicle

No wheel nuts or studs missing

An externally fitted spare wheel or spare wheel carrier must not be so insecure that it is likely to fall off.
                Last edited by wiggy; 8 October 2012, 13:07. Reason: update

Comment

Without wishing to state the obvious, or teach anyone to suck eggs....

There are MOT regulations,

and there are Construction & Use regulations.

They ain't always the same!

Comment

Yea you are right but my point was why then did mine fail on the tyres on an mot (seen much bigger trucks that surely dont comply with construction and use but are road legal), as they were outwith the wheel arch (18 or so mm...cant remember as i dont have the truck anymore), when its not on the checklist or was tester just having a bad day? Bit of a moot point now i suppose
                    Last edited by wiggy; 8 October 2012, 16:30.

Comment

There's a few things to think about. All MOT testers have an opinion and an interpretation of the test. Secondly, just because it has an MOT or you see it trundling down the road doesn't necessarily make it road legal.

Lights would be another good example. a monster truck may have headlamps higher that the C&U regs allow but as long as it shines the correct beam on MOT day, it'll pass....

Your man used the "dangerous to other road users" line and that is surely open to interpretation.

Perhaps he didn't like your aftershave?

Comment

........ was tester just having a bad day? Bit of a moot point now i suppose
                        Was this in Scotland and do you sound English?

Just sayin'.

Comment

probably not.....thinking back though....they were kina funny when we went back in later going on about why someone would need 4x4's and damage to the eco system they cause....thought he was just winding me up..then we brought the second one in

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            Was this in Scotland and do you sound English?

Just sayin'.
                            Morningside in Edinburgh it was and haha no i dont sound English, I come from Islay on the west coast of Scotland.....lots of very good Single malt whisky.

Comment

Morningside in Edinburgh it was and haha no i dont sound English, I come from Islay on the west coast of Scotland.....lots of very good Single malt whisky.

Got to be the aftershave then!

Comment

Working...
                              X