Overheating problem 3l TD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating problem 3l TD

Hi all, new to the forum, but finding it very useful.
    I've got a 3l TD that keeps overheating. I followed instructions given on other threads and fitted a new rad as old one cracked. I also put in a new toyota thermostat after cleaning and flushing the entire system really well. put in toyota coolant and went for a drive. I got about 15 miles- then pulled in to fuel up. Took off again happy all was well, and chuffed id sorted the problem all by myself. Then the gauge went into the red...
    A breakdown guy came out and he couldn't make any sense of it.
    There was no water leaking. No oil in the water. Water seemed to be circulating, but as soon as you reved herup, the rad cap starts whistling and lookin ready to explode. Yet the rad feels cool at the bottom.
    Could this be the water pump?

any help would be much appreciated in diagnosing the problem.
    left the motor sitting outside a garage and will go and see the guys inthe morn...
    Thanks Abe

Originally posted by abeeynort View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum, but finding it very useful.
    I've got a 3l TD that keeps overheating. I followed instructions given on other threads and fitted a new rad as old one cracked. I also put in a new toyota thermostat after cleaning and flushing the entire system really well. put in toyota coolant and went for a drive. I got about 15 miles- then pulled in to fuel up. Took off again happy all was well, and chuffed id sorted the problem all by myself. Then the gauge went into the red...
    A breakdown guy came out and he couldn't make any sense of it.
    There was no water leaking. No oil in the water. Water seemed to be circulating, but as soon as you reved herup, the rad cap starts whistling and lookin ready to explode. Yet the rad feels cool at the bottom.
    Could this be the water pump?

any help would be much appreciated in diagnosing the problem.
    left the motor sitting outside a garage and will go and see the guys inthe morn...
    Thanks Abe
    Did you change the rad cap? If not change it ,sounds like its not opening at releasing the pressure into the expansion bottle
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Thanks, I did wonder if I should have got a new rad cap at the time. I replaced the hose to the expansion vessel with a clear one and could see that it was working.
      Since then the guy at the garage has told me the head is gone or at least the gasket.
      difficult decision,-keep putting in more cash to change the gasket, or sell her on as is. I just bought new springs for the back too

Comment

It could be a pump issue, but its not very common, and its easy enough to test for exhaust gases in the coolant which proves the head has to come off and saves messing around.

If you still need a truck its really not worth NOT fixing it, if you sell it as it is, you'll get a pittance for it, then you still have to buy another one, which might have the same issue some time.

If you fix it then you've sorted the only major thing usually goes wrong with these trucks and it should carry on for years to come.

Why throw away all you have invested in it ATM.

It might only be a gasket after all, but you'll have to take the head off to see anyway.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X