New to this with some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this with some questions

Firstly may I start by saying hello to all members.

Just bought my first Surf and think it's brilliant for the age of the vehicle.

Started the usual service bits, changed oil and filter, fuel filter ( that was fun!!) and air filter.

Serviced the rear glass thanks to the posts on here and looking to do AT oil and diffs very soon.

Checked the anti freeze which didn't exist so had a little fun draining and filling the system again as you can't really get into anywhere to drain it very easily.

Had the usual fun of trying to get the air out which I think I have, but the question I have is this. When driving up small incline so engine is under slight load and low rpm the heaters, especially the rear blow out lots of hot air. If I turn round and run back down the incline obviously the engine revs drop to about 1000rpm , 2.4 TD with autobox, and the heaters then only blow warm air. Go round and back up hill as soon as revs pick up heaters blow hot within a couple of seconds.

Is this normal, obviously the water pump slows down with engine rpm and then as soon as a revs rise water is pumped round faster, or is it indicating a worn pump impellor.

Got some more questions but will ask them after sorting this little issue out.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi mate I'm quite new to Surfs, I had a similar thing with my old Frontera where the heater would go hot & cold, I found it was just a matter of getting all of the air out.

Comment

burp it until is is clear - you can do it easily with a plastic drinks bottle. cut off the bottom, pad the neck with tape so it fits in the water filler hole and top it right up with water. run to temp (so the therm opens) and keep it going till it stops bubbling - add water as you need to. Also, open the heaters so the air in teh heater pipes gets burped out too.
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Make sure it's got a thermostat in it.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi

Many thanks to the advice offered. Forgot to mention I did fit a new stat whilst I changed coolant.

All seems ok so far, been watching the temp gauge like a hawk and seems to stay just below centre.

Will put another post on soon if anyone knows of any Surf owners clubs or rallies based around yorkshire.

Many thanks

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie67 View Post
            Hi

Many thanks to the advice offered. Forgot to mention I did fit a new stat whilst I changed coolant.

All seems ok so far, been watching the temp gauge like a hawk and seems to stay just below centre.

Will put another post on soon if anyone knows of any Surf owners clubs or rallies based around yorkshire.

Many thanks

Andy
            When you say no antifreeze in system if just water it will rot engine and pipes from inside out, i used Holts 2 part coolant system flush takes over an hour to do right but results are amazing. Also replaced pipes that run from engine to rear passenger heater with stainless steel pipes as mine were rotting, they will never rot again

Comment

Working...
            X