Track Rod Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Rod Replacement

Hi, i'm gonna change my track rods. Is it just a case of cracking both balljoints either side of the rod and replacing with the new one?

And do bj splitters come in certain sizes? My cousin said he's got one but is unsure whether it's the right size for track rod bjs.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post
      Hi, i'm gonna change my track rods. Is it just a case of cracking both balljoints either side of the rod and replacing with the new one?
      No.

And do bj splitters come in certain sizes? My cousin said he's got one but is unsure whether it's the right size for track rod bjs.
      Yes, different sizes and types.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        No.

Yes, different sizes and types.

Wow, thanks for that. Bullied at school? Neglected by mother as a child perhaps?

Would anyone care to give me a brief description explaining how to change my track rods?

Thanks.

Comment

Wow, thanks for that. Bullied at school? Neglected by mother as a child perhaps?
          No worries. Remember, you asked a closed question; I answered it concisely.

I was never bullied as a child, but I was put up for adoption. Does that constitute neglect?

Would anyone care to give me a brief description explaining how to change my track rods?
          The easiest way to do it is to loosen the pinch nut or bolt on the rod end, then split it from the hub. Once split, count the number of turns it takes to screw the rod end off, then re-fit the new one by the same number of turns. Not an exact science, but certainly close enough to get them done and get the truck to have the wheel alignment adjusted properly.

Comment

Another way to do it is to keep the truck on the ground, remove the old TRE and screw the new one on so that it easily slips into the steering arm without moving anything. Again, only good enough to do the job and take it to get the alignment set up properly.

Comment

Thanks, i'm changing the whole rod though, not just the end. I get the outer end bit, but do i just do the same for the inner end in terms of loosening the castle nut and popping the BJ?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/...dd9f33ec63.jpg

If not, then:

Could someone please give me a brief description of how to change the inner tie rod end?

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks, i'm changing the whole rod though, not just the end. I get the outer end bit, but do i just do the same for the inner end in terms of loosening the castle nut and popping the BJ?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/...dd9f33ec63.jpg

If not, then:

Could someone please give me a brief description of how to change the inner tie rod end?

Thanks.
                What exactly is it you're changng? The bit that's loose in that picture is the BJ on the pitman arm.

Comment

not for wanting to sound immature but grown men talking about BJ's made me giggle

Comment

Originally posted by bigbobe View Post
                    not for wanting to sound immature but grown men talking about bj's made me giggle

robert!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        What exactly is it you're changng? The bit that's loose in that picture is the BJ on the pitman arm.
                        The track rods. In their entirety; Both ends. Middle bit that turns. Clamps. The current ones are seized.

Comment

The track rods. In their entirety; Both ends. Middle bit that turns. Clamps. The current ones are seized.
                          Take the old ones off and lay them on the floor, build up the new set (making sure both TREs go into the centre bit by the same ammount). Lay the new set up on top of the old one and adjust to the same length using the centre bit (so that both ends move the same ammount). Then just re-fit.

It doesn't matter how exact you are with the measuring, you'll need to get the tracking done once you've changed them.

Comment

Working...
                          X