yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedo problems - affecting gear changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big_ben View Post
    Bit of a thread revival!!!!!

I have checked the VSS as per Bushwackers instructions....and that seems to be sending a signal. It turns out gear changes seem to be just fine - I just wasn't used to the auto box!!!

I took apart the dash and removed the speedo. checked the back - and couldn't see anything obviously wrong......?

So....my rev counter works, my fuel, oil, water and battery gauges work.....but my speedo doesn't budge at all and the odometer isn't clocking up any miles. Any ideas on what to check next???
    It could just be a dead speedo head inside the gauge itself, I've had a Honda cluster do that on me. I would test the wires at the back of the cluster for a speedo signal (maybe with the rear wheels on jackstands, front wheels chocked kind of thing), and if there is signal to the cluster, swap clusters and see if that does it. If there is no signal to the back of the cluster, then you have a broken wire somewhere between the VSS and the cluster.
    '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

IanB2..thanks for the info. Probably sounds stupid...but I am not sure how to check signals at back of speedo. There are four multi pin connections - which is for speedo/odometer? Also....how do I actually check?? Sorry if thats a stupid question...

Bushwacker.....had another think about when I checked the signal from VSS......and I am unsure now. In the diagnostics port there is a VS1 and VS2. Which is the VSS??? Regardless of whether rear drivers wheel is turning or not....VS1 has a constant 11.89v coming from it and I get nothing from VS2.

Any thoughts. Any help much appreciated.
      92 Manual, 93 auto, 03 Dual Cab, 95 Single Cab

Comment

Checked the fault codes......I am getting 1 single flash with 4-5 seconds between each flash. I think this means that there are no faults....... And hence....my VSS should be working....and hence it is most likely the speedo cluster that's not working??? Is that logical....?

Removed cluster again today....couldn't see any obvious breaks in the tracks or anything. Is the next best step going to be trying another cluster?
        92 Manual, 93 auto, 03 Dual Cab, 95 Single Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Big_ben View Post
          Removed cluster again today....couldn't see any obvious breaks in the tracks or anything. Is the next best step going to be trying another cluster?
          If you can find another cluster to try, this would be easiest. I don't have the cluster pinouts with me, but I think I have them at home. I found a site that had a bunch of stuff like that, and printed them all off for my cruise control installer (wasn't sure if he'd need that stuff, but wanted to have it available).
          '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Working...
          X