is it diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my mind, your problem could be one of:

1. Air filter needs replacing. Try running it for a while with the filter off to see if it's fine that way.
    2. Fuel starvation. Possibly pump related, could also be down to a blocked breather. Try running it with the filler cap off to eliminate a breather problem.
    3. Electrical. Do you have a check engine light on and have you tried running any diagnostics?

One thing I'm still not clear on; when you have the problem, does the engine sound fine but need a lot of revs to get going or does it sound rough?

Comment

Check the ATF fluid level / condition.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        Check the ATF fluid level / condition.
        I was kind of hoping they'd done that during the service. Mind you, I'd expect the air filter to be done too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          I was kind of hoping they'd done that during the service. Mind you, I'd expect the air filter to be done too.

Yep but a 'basic' service is oil / air filter and oil change from 'only' £35.... depending on make/model/engine size etc etc...

Comment

Yep but a 'basic' service is oil / air filter and oil change from 'only' £35.... depending on make/model/engine size etc etc...
            Maybe Angola is more advanced than us and has evolved beyond Kwik Shit?

Comment

Maybe Angola is more advanced than us and has evolved beyond Kwik Shit?
              It wouldn't surprise me.....

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me.....
                It would stun me. It would not surprise me if their concept of changing the air filter, was swapping it with other 4 runner/Surf thats in their yard. You can get things done properly and to a high standard in Angola, but its so much easier to get them done to a low standard or not at all.
                Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                  You can get things done properly and to a high standard in Angola, but its so much easier to get them done to a low standard or not at all.
                  Pretty much the same as the UK then...

Comment

1. Air filter needs replacing. Try running it for a while with the filter off to see if it's fine that way. - Replaced with a brand new one
                    2. Fuel starvation. Possibly pump related, could also be down to a blocked breather. Try running it with the filler cap off to eliminate a breather problem. - i will try this one
                    3. Electrical. Do you have a check engine light on and have you tried running any diagnostics? - No engine light... have not done any diagnostics, to have it dane i will hae to take it to toyota dealership and pay $3000+

in additon i have not checked STF fuid yet...

and for the rest of the guys... we do get a lot of parts for Surf/4runner... mechanical parts are not really a problem...

so far thanks for the reply guys... my offer stil stands though.

NOTe: some mechanic once mentioned that it could be an injector problem, and onother one said its some valve that has dried oil and is not lubricating properly...

when the problem occurs the engine sounds roght...

Comment

Hi all,
                      i went out to get another mechanic opinion and he reckons its injector related problem, and it needs to be replaced!

what do you guys think...
                      Last edited by vladimir; 10 May 2011, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir View Post
                        Hi all,
                        i went out to get another mechanic opinion and he reckons its injector related problem, and it needs to be replaced!

what do you guys think...
                        Could be. You need to answer this question to clarify things:

"One thing I'm still not clear on; when you have the problem, does the engine sound fine but need a lot of revs to get going or does it sound rough?"

Comment

Could be. You need to answer this question to clarify things:

"One thing I'm still not clear on; when you have the problem, does the engine sound fine but need a lot of revs to get going or does it sound rough?"

when the problem happens the engine sounds very rough...

Comment

Working...
                          X