Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it diesel?

Hi All,

my surf is having a bit of trouble when accelerating, the engines seems to make a huge noise but the car won't realy move, and lately i have people asking me if the engine is a diesel... the car is actually a 1996 ssrg model the engine is a 5VZ-FE.

i dont want to take it to a garage and have people trying to figure out what is going on, i would rather point out what it is to avoid playing with the engine... i hope you guys can help...

thanks all...

Clutch slipping ?

Comment

Hi whishbone,

thanks for the reply, could you be more specific? please... i am more of a computer guy, not mechanics...

by the way, i googling it now and i am starting to understand it... but most references are MT transmition, mine is an AT... does it apply too?

thanks...
      Last edited by vladimir; 9 May 2011, 21:53.

Comment

If it revs high & gradually picks up speed then as wishbone said "clutch slipping"
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir View Post
          Hi whishbone,

thanks for the reply, could you be more specific? please... i am more of a computer guys, not mechanics...
          As a computer guy, I'm sure you're familiar with "Google"? Just joking, your engine is a gasser, not diesel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VZ_engine#5VZ-FE

Is your truck an auto or standard? If it's an auto, it won't be a slipping clutch that's the problem.
          '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

ya, i am hitting google like mad now, as far as i can see it only applies to MT transmission... what is a "gasser"?

Comment

ya, i am hitting google like mad now, as far as i can see it only applies to MT transmission... what is a "gasser"?
              Petrol.
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Could be your turbo's not spooling up properly. Have you checked the Impeller Vlad?
                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

turbo i believe is for diesel engines, the engine is actually petrol (not because si tate told me, thats what i fell with at the petrol station )... any more ideas guys? who ever solve this i ill fix his computer trouble for two weeks...

Comment

So, it's a V6 petrol auto and when you put your foot down there's a lot of noise but not much movement. A few immediate questions:

1. What does it sound like at idle?
                    2. Is there any smoke coming out the back?
                    3. When did you last have it serviced and what was done?
                    4. Is it using any water?
                    5. How is the oil level?
                    6. Does it feel 'normal' when you drive it (other than being slow)?
                    7. When did the problem start?
                    8. Did the problem come on suddenly or gradually develop?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                      Could be your turbo's not spooling up properly. Have you checked the Impeller Vlad?
                      Pay attention

Comment

1. What does it sound like at idle? - at idle it sounds fine except for a light knocking on the engine
                        2. Is there any smoke coming out the back? - no
                        3. When did you last have it serviced and what was done? - last week (oil filter, spark plugs & and fuel filter
                        4. Is it using any water? - last time i checked yes
                        5. How is the oil level? - oil is brand new - and level is fine
                        6. Does it feel 'normal' when you drive it (other than being slow)? - yes - but sometimes it just struggles to take off...
                        7. When did the problem start? a whiles back
                        8. Did the problem come on suddenly or gradually develop? gradually i would say...

hope it helps...

Comment

1. What does it sound like at idle? - at idle it sounds fine except for a light knocking on the engine
                          2. Is there any smoke coming out the back? - no
                          3. When did you last have it serviced and what was done? - last week (oil filter, spark plugs & and fuel filter
                          4. Is it using any water? - last time i checked yes
                          5. How is the oil level? - oil is brand new - and level is fine
                          6. Does it feel 'normal' when you drive it (other than being slow)? - yes - but sometimes it just struggles to take off...
                          7. When did the problem start? a whiles back
                          8. Did the problem come on suddenly or gradually develop? gradually i would say...

hope it helps...
                          OK. Following on from that:

1. How did it run before the service? Was it the same?
                          2. What do you mean by 'yes' to using water? Do you mean you have to keep putting more water in it to keep it topped up?
                          3. When you say it sometimes struggles, do you mean that at other times it's fine? Is there any pattern i.e. does it seem better from cold or hot, is it better or worse in the morning, does altitude affect it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                            Pay attention
                            Sorry, must try harder!
                            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

1. How did it run before the service? Was it the same? - YES
                              2. What do you mean by 'yes' to using water? Do you mean you have to keep putting more water in it to keep it topped up? - NO
                              3. When you say it sometimes struggles, do you mean that at other times it's fine? Is there any pattern i.e. does it seem better from cold or hot, is it better or worse in the morning, does altitude affect it at all? YES AT OTHER TIMES ITS FINE... IT SEEMS BETTER FROM COLD (MORNING), ALTITUDE IS NOT REALLY AN ISSUE ...

Comment

Working...
                              X