Front Diff oil filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Diff oil filler

OK this may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway.

My front diff was leaking oil and until I get round to changing the oil seal which I have sitting in the garage, I need to check the level as it has stopped leaking and I am thinking that it may be because there is nothing left in it to leak.

Am I correct that the filler plug is at the front of the diff just above the ADD actuated warning light sensor, in which case......

How the hell do you get at it without dropping the AC rad. Are my hands just to big and even if I can get the plug out (think it's supposed to be 24mm) how do you top it up.

Or is there another plug that I can't see.

Cheers

Unfortunately you are right in your identification of the filler plug. It is a $£&^%*& to get at but it is possible with the air con rad in place - I know, I've done it. However the only good way to fill the thing is with a "syringe" although you might be able to rig something up with a length of hose and a funnel (and I'm still talking about filling the diff - honest)
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
      Unfortunately you are right in your identification of the filler plug. It is a $£&^%*& to get at but it is possible with the air con rad in place - I know, I've done it. However the only good way to fill the thing is with a "syringe" although you might be able to rig something up with a length of hose and a funnel (and I'm still talking about filling the diff - honest)
      Thanks Roger, I'll see what kind of "Blue Peter" setup I can rig up.

Cheers

Comment

just remember to check the ammount you need befor you go buying copiuos ammounts for £40 and only needing a drizzle!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I modified a pressure sprayer (those pump up garden thingys) for filling diffs etc.Works great.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
            I modified a pressure sprayer (those pump up garden thingys) for filling diffs etc.Works great.

Neville
            Now that is a damn good idea, off to buy one in a minute.

Thanks, I would never have thought about it.

Cheers

Comment

Great idea Nev, definiate plus mark there, should now be promoted to Red Star.
              God Andy you should have known that one, i suppose Koi will now be selling them in his shopping page at a cut price.

Joking apart great idea Nev.

Ps : head this morning B & Q & Homebase have sold out !!!!!!!!

Sewerat Bob
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sewerat
                God Andy you should have known that one, i suppose Koi will now be selling them in his shopping page at a cut price.

Sewerat Bob
                Another good idea Bob, and I can do the modification with me swiss army knife.

Cheers

Comment

can't the normal gearbox filler bottle be used, the one that has a flexipipe and you squeeze the bottle to fill?
                  [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

un bolt switch sensor

can you take the sensor switch off, and pour in from their.

i think it can be done that way on my ssrx.?

just a idea.

Comment

If you don't use the filler plug the level won't be right.
                      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by stara
                        can't the normal gearbox filler bottle be used, the one that has a flexipipe and you squeeze the bottle to fill?
                        have you tried squirting a 5 litres 300ml at a time thru one of those to fill the gearbox, wish I had Neville around last week when I filled up the gearbox and transfer from empty, transfer took about another 2 on top of the 5.

Comment

The oil I bought came in 5L and 1 L bottles, just used the 1L bottle with the squeezy extended neck and filled it from the 5L bottle, only took couple of mins.
                          ------------------------------------
                          Look out! Ee

Comment

after filling gearbox oil via a 60ml syringe I got off a vet friend - don't ask how long it took... I rigged up a funnel, 1 1/2 - 2 metres of clear tubing, used bicycle workstand to hold funnel about a metre or so off ground next to car and filled up the transfer case using that - took no time at all.
                            andy
                            Landcruiser Colorado
                            Sub. Forester

Comment

ooops, i stand corrected/my 2.4t/d ssr-x/ help

ooo's i stand corrected,well too the sensor switch off and managed to put in 250ml,of gear oil in the front diff.
                              then i thought well were is the the filler hole, f..k you must be joking,FOUND IT, how the hell some one here tell me,do you get a spanner ratchet on to take it off! i read how to fill it but no one is saying how they reached it,to fill it.
                              i bet not many people have managed to change the oil here. do you have to remove the aircon rad as been suggested?

i have change all fluids to day and i am stuck on this one, would like the answer to night if possible pleas. i have already done the garden spray mod, works very well.
                              this is the only thing now stopping me, so HELP will be great.
                              i can just touch working my way through, but god knows how you release it.
                              cheers ozzy

Comment

Working...
                              X