Leaking like a sieve! - parts and advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking like a sieve! - parts and advice please

Its been tipping it down here for last couple of days and Ive started to get water coming into the truck

Got a drip from the rear window I think it is where the CB radio aerial lead used to go through and has damaged the seal I think the water is running down the roof and coming back under the seal and dripping onto the load cover. Any ideas where I can get this seal from?

Secondly - advice needed on this.... Ive got water coming in at the passenger side A pillar I beleive from the windscreen seals as there is water in the footwell (ive checked the heater matrix and thats ok the water is coming from a different place) Some of the chrome windscreen trim is missing and some silicone has been used - would this cause this? I noticed in the cold weather that I was getting some droplets of water running down the passenger side of the windscreen inside but initially put it down to condensation.

I also have a wet patch in the drivers side roof lining in the corner near the top of the A pillar under the right side of the sun visor. it doesnt appear to leak when stationary but after being on the move in heavy rain for a few miles I get a drip that lands on my right arm and the wet patch appears. is this again a windscreen issue? The sunroof appears ok and has a deflector.

Any advice or experience of problems like this would be much appreciated before I drown on the way to work!!

FOR GODS SAKE DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE ANY MOGWAIS IN THE SURF UNTIL THIS IS SORTED!!

Others will no doubt be along with more useful information shortly.

Good luck.

Comment

Silicone sealant isn't great for watertight seals as it lifts as it gets older, best sealant is stuff for caravans, its flexible and doesn't lift, its called Sikaflex 512, you can get it online or at caravan dealerships.

I think someone may have replaced your screen and mucked the job up, so don't know what you can do to fix it properly apart from remove/replace again.

The other leaks I reckon are probably down to the internal drain channels being blocked with crap, try some stiff wire through them from top to bottom to clean them out, theres one each side of the sunroof, open it and you should see, I'd also check along the bottom of the doors, there's drain holes there that block up too. H

Comment

Cheers H Ill have a look at the drains

Comment

Was hunting the Google and found this link..... its for the similar year landcruiser but looks very similar. Some of the pics are quite useful.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...rains-faq.html

Comment

I THINK I FOUND IT! - Leaking sunroof

Having taken the headlining out and found various forms of fungus and god knows what clinging to its front half - there may even be a cure for the common cold in there its that bad!!

I was expecting it to be the drain aways from the sunroof but on closer inspection with a bottle or water or two it became quite apparent that my sunroof is the issue

Ill post some pics to make it clearer but from what I can see the water is coming through the screws that fasten into the white plastic nuts on the front black panel of the sunroof and maybe the join between the sunroof tray and the roof (although this may be due to the ammount of water I was putting in) The drain aways although not super quick to drain are clearing a full channel of water in around 10 seconds.

My next question...... what can I do about a leaky sunroof??? Any experiences?

My intial thinking is to remove the sunroof as a whole and strip and seal everything as I put it back together again unless anyone has a better idea?

Comment

The Yellow arrows show where the water is coming in on the drivers side

It appears to be the screw point and the join on the catch tray couldnt find any evidence of the drain tube leaking.
              Attached Files

Comment

If the drain tube is blocked then the water has to come in from somewhere so around that area will be where it's leaking.Don't forget there are 4 of those drain tubes,1 on each corner so check all of them and make sure they are clear
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Is this how the siunroof should look?

Ive read that there should be a small wind deflector? Isnt one on here by the looks of things. Would this effect the leak issues?

the roof lining is a bit minging so have removed it to try and make the repair easier.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                    If the drain tube is blocked then the water has to come in from somewhere so around that area will be where it's leaking.Don't forget there are 4 of those drain tubes,1 on each corner so check all of them and make sure they are clear
                    How quickly should they clear? - the truck is facing down hill at the moment to test the front drains.

Ill give them a good clean as well to be sure

I take it the sunroo isnt very well sealed to take into account large volumes of water filling the tray?

Comment

that wind deflector thing is just a flimsey bit of metal that lifts slightly when the sunroof opens.It doesn't really do anything but it certainly won't have anything to do with it leaking

Comment

Makes sense - I think this ones been removed by a previous owner as there is an external deflector installed (removed while I sort this out)

Will the general conditon of the sunroof seal make a difference as well? Its pretty green and unpleasant.

Comment

give it all a good clean up and make sure its all dry inside.Put a hose pipe on and see if its leaking.You may be able to seal it a bit with some clear silicon if needed

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                            give it all a good clean up and make sure its all dry inside.Put a hose pipe on and see if its leaking.You may be able to seal it a bit with some clear silicon if needed
                            Have poured a litre bottle through each tube now its cleared out and seems to be clearing quicker and not filling up to th point of overflowing the catch tray. Ill use some silicon in a minute to seal the screw points and any obvious gaps that it may come through and see how that goes.

Reckon if i give the sunroof seal a good clean it may ressurect some of its water repellancy then it'll be the hose test tommorrow!!

Comment

So the drains are cleared and the channels cleared out as best as possible and the water is clearing quickly.

Now the next problem - the sunroof wont close fully which may have lead to the water getting into the channels to the extent it has in the first place the glass gets alomost there and begins to tilt up from the rear but gets jammed under the rear edge and stops a milimetre or so before the front - it never atcually ends up level with the roof line.

The Motor starts to struggle once it gets as far as it can......

On the verge of giving up for today but off tommorrow so can carry on then.

Ideas please?

Comment

Working...
                              X