manifold heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manifold heater

seen some mention of a manifold heater using a ch3/167 champion plug.

plan on taking the egr pipe off and making a blank off plate threaded to suite the plug, any body done this? would like some input,

the plug is a 12 volt 385 watt, going to use a 12 volt 40 amp soleniod and wire a switch into the dash.

As an extra one? You know you already have one? Its on the underneath of the manifold.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i have read that this was a resisitor and it is enclosed in metal, so more of a heat sink, i will still be adding and extra element which will have an exposed element to provide extra heat.

Comment

Originally posted by kit05 View Post
        i have read that this was a resisitor and it is enclosed in metal, so more of a heat sink, i will still be adding and extra element which will have an exposed element to provide extra heat.
        A heating element is a resistor. It is fitted to a heat sink - spreading the heat over a larger surface area, like an electric radiator! Without the heat sink you might as well fit a light bulb. You could fit different wattage "bulbs" depending upon what "heating" you required...

Comment

Originally posted by kit05 View Post
          seen some mention of a manifold heater using a ch3/167 champion plug.
          The guy who I think was going to do that never went ahead with it. Simple enough to try though.

The Glow Plug Resistor does bugger all to heat the manifold and no idea why anyone calls it a manifold heater.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            The Glow Plug Resistor does bugger all to heat the manifold and no idea why anyone calls it a manifold heater.

Nev
            Cos that's what most of us have been told/read/assumed it was, and I've personally not had to look deeper into it for any reason to find out otherwise.

I am now edumikated.

Comment

To heat the manifold casting in any meaningful way with a glow plug I would imagine will be near impossible. For starters you need to ensure that the element of the plug is a tight fit in the casting, with as much contact area as possible, otherwise you're just heating the air in there, or is that the aim?

Even with ideal contact, the spread of heat will be fairly minimal, remaining probably within a few inches of the plug.

You'd probably need multiple plugs spread out across it to heat it so it would make much difference.

Out of interest, what temperature is required?
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I assumed it was to just preheat the air a little on cold days. But like said above, its never been something I've looked at very hard.

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                To heat the manifold casting in any meaningful way with a glow plug I would imagine will be near impossible. For starters you need to ensure that the element of the plug is a tight fit in the casting, with as much contact area as possible, otherwise you're just heating the air in there, or is that the aim?

Even with ideal contact, the spread of heat will be fairly minimal, remaining probably within a few inches of the plug.

You'd probably need multiple plugs spread out across it to heat it so it would make much difference.

Out of interest, what temperature is required?

Comment

i dont know what tempature is required. i will try it and see how it works, i have read it works well, just want to heat the air for those extra cold starts.

Comment

Ah OK. As an air heater a glow plug should work pretty well. I was under the impression that it was the manifold itself that you wanted to heat - probably due to people assuming the glow plug ballast resistor was a heater
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Toyota diesel forum has lots of info on Canadian cold starts.(sump heaters , block heaters, manifold heaters etc)

Comment

i am picking up the parts in the morning and will do a write up as i go with pictures

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          I assumed it was to just preheat the air a little on cold days.
                          Tony, it can't heat the air because the resistor is in a chamber, sealed off from the intake air.

Nev

Comment

have all my parts, wont have my 18x1.5 tap till next week as they are hard to come by, i will mill the spacer for my manifold now while i wait, maybe machine a few while im at it.

Comment

Working...
                            X