yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2lte gurus advice needed for this painfull trouble shooting on new engine cold starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2lte gurus advice needed for this painfull trouble shooting on new engine cold starts

I am having issues with my surf on cold start, when first started it will fire up nice for 3 seconds then it starts to spit and cough and diesel knock, the rpm will hunt, or cut in and out in park or when driving under load till it reaches operating tempature, I have had the engine rebuilt from top to bottom everything is within spec , glow plugs cycle and voltage are to spec, glow plugs have the correct amount of resistance, no codes are showing, when the engine was started for the first time after the rebuild the surf rpm was stuck at 1800, this was fixed with a new TPS,the engine idle is 500 rpm when the engine is at temp, a little low , i think it might not be adjusted correctly but will have to confirm but shouldnt cause these symptoms. I have confirmed that there is no air in the fuel system, and i am getting fuel to my injectors and the injectors have been refurbished , i have also confirmed the egine timing marks are correct as well as the injector pump match marks are lined up to the casing, my vacuum lines are all correct, all the electrical connections have been confirmed as well.i have been racking my brain and have hundreds of hours researching the issues, i am dam near fed up with this surf, have invested in so much time and money i dont know where to go next, i think the pump timing may need to be advanced from the match marks but would like any info or ideas i can to trouble shoot this problem, i am using the surf for work in remote location where the weather is cold and we average 50 feet of snow a year, so it is very crucial that i have this surf in top notch condition for my safety, nev any comments?

although the timing marks may be matched up but is it 180degrees out by any chance as this sounds like it is.
    The idle revs should be about the 750 mark so 500 is way to low.Set the idle correct and then see how it is
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

please explain how the timing could be out 180 deg? and support your theory? is idle adjusted with tps or throttle body?
      Last edited by kit05; 6 November 2010, 17:04.

Comment

people on here have had the pump timing out 180deg's when they have had the pump off then refitted so i just wondered if this may be the case with yours thats all.
        You should be able to adjust the throttle cable on the throttle body to bring the idle up a bit.It may be the right way of doing it or the wrong way but thats how i adjusted mine a while back
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

not sure how my rpms would go up and down if it has issues with pump timing, how would the pump timing effect the engine if the surf runs well when warm but not when cold? my theory is the pump needs to be ret /adv as the timing is only controled within a few degrees iether way, so im thinking the pump will need to be moved off the match marks to set the base timing retarded as i am getting knock when cold then the ecu would control the timing and advance it within the spectrum, but i dont know if this would advance it enough when the engine is warm, im sure my tps could use a proper reset and that might fix my hunting throttle, iduno, more info or ideas please?

Comment

anyone have this sort of issue from a timing control valve on the ip?

Comment

Under the inlet manifold there is an EFI coolant sensor, check that the wire is attached, it can get knock off easily or the wire breaks due to engine heat.
              If the wire has come off or broken, this would explain the idle and rough running problems when cold.

Comment

coolent sensor in the block is good, if it wasnt hooked up the glow plugs would not heat for long, i know the sensor is working due to the difference in time for the glowplugs with engine temps, as stated in my 1st post the glowplug cycles are working as they should.

Comment

im thinking that when i start the surf it is good for a few seconds before it starts to cough and spit, meaning the computer is trying to advance the timing to the tempature provided to the ecu from the coolent sensor from the prevoiuse run, meaning the spectrom of the variance in timing provided by the ecu is set to far per the base timing,which wouldnt matter when the engine reaches operating temp,maybe if i retard the base timing on the pump it will change the spectrom so the computer wont advance it to the point it is now, maybe that will resolve the rough running along with the diesel knock?
                  Last edited by kit05; 6 November 2010, 21:03.

Comment

anyone? there must be someone who can offer some technical info?

Comment

Are you getting the secondary glow of around 6.5 volts after the initial startup glow of 10.5 volts? 500rpm idle is very low. Have you checked the TPS is working according to the specs?

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3095

Nev

Comment

yes glow plugs cycles good,new tps have to confirm settings

Comment

still cant idle above 500 tryed the screw and the tps, and the surf hesitates some times at a steady throttle when driving, i think i will jujst replace the sensor.

Comment

Just bang a new ECU in.

Comment

truck was good before rebuild, cant see the ecu catching a cold?

Comment

Working...
                              X