2" Suspension lift kit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" Suspension lift kit help

The slow ass garage who have been repairing my Surf (6 months now)following the accident are taking their sweet merry time to get everything finalised and I've had enough. I bought the 2" kit from Roughtrax and now feel that the only way this is ever going to get done is by doing it myself. How easy a job is it and will I need any special tools? I'm no mechanic, but I have just replaced the shocks and water pump on my Cherokee and put a new starter motor on a 200Tdi converted 1988 Land Rover 110. That's more or less the level I'm at.
    Should I just wait until the garage get round to doing it or is it a piece of p155 to do and I should do it myself?

If you have done shocks etc on other trucks then you will be able to do the suspension lift on thesurf.I would get some spring compressors tho to help with the removal and fitting
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers Stormy, didn't really think it'd be too difficult, just never done springs before. Sods law though, all my old man's mechanic tools I inherited when he popped his clogs are sitting in a garage in the uk and I know there's some spring clamps in that lot.

Comment

Just found some on ebaay, delivered for 20 quid, that'll do me.

Comment

give yourself 3 hours and you'll be done or maybe 4 hours with tea breaks
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

hi sorry to butt in but i was thinking about doing the 2" lift on my truck. but did read something somewhere about the lift messing with the gearing is this true??

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by levilg View Post
              hi sorry to butt in but i was thinking about doing the 2" lift on my truck. but did read something somewhere about the lift messing with the gearing is this true??

thanks
              Gearing is only affected by size of your wheels/diff ratios or gear box ratios... not the distance of your body off the ground.
              If you mean with regard to CV joint wear, then yes, increasing angles of CV joints will inevitably lead to greater wear.
              HTH
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by the silver surfer View Post
                Just found some on ebaay, delivered for 20 quid, that'll do me.

Four, 2" lift springs for a 3rd gen Surf, delivered for £20?????

Is that an R/C model Surf?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Four, 2" lift springs for a 3rd gen Surf, delivered for £20?????

Is that an R/C model Surf?
                  i think he meant a set of spring compessors for £20 delivered lol

Comment

Exactly!!! HOWEVER, be careful which type you buy. My old man's ones had a curved grippy bit at each end and the ones I bought have more of a 45deg angle. The problem with this is that you can't get them really tight and secure, as I found out when it slipped off whilst compressed - I was lucky not to have lost all my teeth. As it was it flew off and slammed into my bicep and cut it open. Kind of made me a bit wary now and all the bits are still in their boxes waiting to be fitted.
                    Anyone coming to Spain any time soon and want a fitting job? Can accommodate!

Comment

Use a pair of compressors to compress each spring as much as possible and tie them with sash cord or similar then remove compressors.
                      Fit springs to rear axle, lower truck the the ground so the weight is on the springs, then cut the cords.

Repeat method for the other springs.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Use a pair of compressors to compress each spring as much as possible and tie them with sash cord or similar then remove compressors.
                        Fit springs to rear axle, lower truck the the ground so the weight is on the springs, then cut the cords.

Repeat method for the other springs.
                        I'm in the process of getting everything ready to do this job (not tonight).
                        That's a great idea there.

Lift one spring out and instantly slot the other in!

I hope my knots hold

Comment

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to tackle the fronts? I'm finding that the space is so restricted that I can't get the shock and spring in place with the clamps in situ.

Comment

Thats probably the reason Bushy said to tie the springs with sash cord or similar, I reckon those small ratchet straps with webbing would do a good job of this too. H

Comment

I have been trying the cord idea but I just don't seem to be getting sufficient compression on the springs to enable me to refit them. Went and bought a set of "claw" type clamps today as the cheap ones I bought off ebay are one of the most dangerous tools I've ever used.
                              Where I do now seem to having a bit of luck is clamping them first, then tie them up, then re-clamp for some more compression, then shoving something solid in the newly created slack of the cord. Hopefully this will now fit and when in situ I can cut the cord and my "wedge" will just fall to the floor - in theory.
                              The ratchet strap idea is brilliant, I'll also be giving that a go, although I'm not sure they'll be strong enough to compress these springs, they really are stiff.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X