Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie Surf owner

Hello all,

we bought a '96 3rd Gen Surf a few weeks ago and have a small problem I'd like to solve asap.

the steering wheel is wobbling pretty badly under braking which I assume to be warped discs ? (could it be anything else ??)

my questions are:-

are the front discs from Roughtrax of a high quality and would you recommend genuine toyota pads over the non-OEM versions offered by Roughtrax as part of the front brake kit they do ?

also, please can anyone tell me the wheel nut torque ?

thanks,

nick

Originally posted by nickhudson View Post
    Hello all,

we bought a '96 3rd Gen Surf a few weeks ago and have a small problem I'd like to solve asap.

the steering wheel is wobbling pretty badly under braking which I assume to be warped discs ? (could it be anything else ??)

Most likely cause, had this on my previous Surf, changed discs and pads and no more wobbling steering under braking

my questions are:-

are the front discs from Roughtrax of a high quality and would you recommend genuine toyota pads over the non-OEM versions offered by Roughtrax as part of the front brake kit they do ?

Got mine from here seemed ok but sold the Surf a few months after fitting so not really got a good feel for them.
    As for brake pads I now have a 4Runner and have fitted EBC pads. Best ever no more brake fade and less dust from them and what there is just cleans off easy. Not sure if they do a fitting for the 3rd Gen

also, please can anyone tell me the wheel nut torque ?

thanks,

nick
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Hi newbie, as Koi says its most likely warped discs but also check that the front tyres are ballanced correctly.

The R-trax discs & pads are spot on, i put a set on mine last year & ive had no problems at all + i checked them a few weeks back & there is still plenty of meat on the pads even after 20,000 miles.

You will have to use the search facility to get the torque settings but most on here just tighten them as they would on any other car/4x4.
      Last edited by si tate; 7 July 2010, 16:15.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

thanks all,

eventually went for the R-Trax discs and genuine Toyota pads - problem solved

i always prefer to tighten wheel nuts/bolts to a specific torque having made sure the threads are clean - i am an Engineer and the thought of guessing nut torques on wheels is not something i'm happy with - i will search around for a figure

Comment

113 N m
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
          X