Vibration/judder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration/judder...

Hi, just joined up after buying an R plated SSR-V gen 3. It was imported in 2005, and appears to have a simpler transmission ie the transfer box lever only has H, N and L4 positions, with the 4WD button on the side of the knob. Am I correct in assuming this is the Prado/Colorado transmission?
    Suffering from a wheel balance type vibration at around 65, but I've had the balance done and checked the wheel bearings, and can't see any obvious bush issues. The vibration is also sometimes not so consistent as wheel balance vibration...seems to manifest itself on the overrun, and when the car is cruising as opposed to when under load (acceleration). One minute I suspect the prop UJ's, next I feel it could be a warped disc...any ideas folks ?
    One last thing, how do I change my username to just "malxwal", rather than the complete email my computer decided on for me ?
    Why did I ever bother with Mitsubishis and Land Rovers ??
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

It could be your steering idler, that can cause the Surf to shake at about that speed.
    If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

Nah, rack and pinion steering on this truck. I do get a tiny clunk out of the steering when going down heavily potholed track, so there is some play in a ball joint...suspect the upper one on the drivers side where the boot is held on with some deftly twisted wire....However, I can't see this causing the type of judder I experience. It could be that there are more than one faults though..
      3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

You maybe answered your steering judder question in your second post. Go fix the things you know are broken, then come back if the fault is still apparent.

To change your username, speak very nicely to Koi. He may change it once you become a paid up member
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Aye, fair point, but the shoppe isn't open at the weekends ! I think perhaps a parcel may arrive this week containing ball joints, UJ's and whatever else I suspect... She's a bonny truck, and will be getting worked most weekends, although not too severely, but with a long drive between home and farm it would be nice to get her judder free. Even with the judders (and the rear end slides coming off the wet roundabouts), I'm SOOO glad I sold the Shogun...
          3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Someone will clarify this in a minute, but I think you may have one of the earlier turd gens with 2nd gen mechanics. But your's does seem to be too new to have that setup?

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal@yahoo.co.uk View Post
              (and the rear end slides coming off the wet roundabouts), I'm SOOO glad I sold the Shogun...
              They all do that if you drive them too fast, it's a 2 tonne pendulum mind.

Comment

Oh, forgot to say, stick your vehicle details in your profile (User CP button). Saves us trying to figure out what truck you're asking about.

Comment

Ah, yes, that would explain the very reasonable price, even though it is a '98 R reg, that could easily be a cock up with DVLA..looking here:
                  http://hiluxsurf.eu/faq_interior.htm#4wd
                  it would appear you're right about it having 2nd gen transmission. Works for me though...
                  3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

There are a few. Just remember it has no centre diff, so don't drive it on non slippy stuff in 4wd.

Comment

1998 must be the change over year on the trans then as my 1998 S reg has the different gear selections on the trans lever
                      I only thought that the early 3rd gens had the same trans as the 2nd gens so your truck should have the later 3rd gen trans box fitted
                      Last edited by stormforce; 13 June 2010, 20:37.
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Doesn't really matter to me, it's less complicated for the missus, and isn't really necessary for the type of work I'll be doing with it. Just shows that even if you think you've done your homework, you can still miss things. I also thought that it was only later ones that had the spare wheel underneath...obviously wrong...
                        I viewed three other trucks which were N and P, the N plates having the swing out spare wheel, all of which had the more complex transmission, but none as tidy. I obviously haven't done my homework as well as I should have.Wonder if any other base model owners have similar transmissions ?
                        No probs, she'll be a fine workhorse !
                        Last edited by malxwal; 13 June 2010, 21:48. Reason: more info
                        3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

I am a little concerned, having thought about it, that use of 4WD on anything other than mud/snow could damage the transmission. I realise the 4WD system on these vehicles is part time, but if I wanted a little more road holding for wet days / slidey roundabouts, would I have been better with the true 3rd gen transmission ? It's just that I may have the option of buying one of the trucks I previously looked at, which was, although a year older on the paperwork, obviously a proper 3rd gen. Would it be safe to drive this model in 4WD on the road at speeds up to 70MPH ?
                          3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

now i am getting confused now as you got a 3rd gen 1998 R reg and it has the 2nd gen trans fitted but you can buy an older 3rd gen with the newer 3rd gen trans fitted.
                            The early 3rd gens had the last of the 2nd gen trans fitted and that was in 1996 when the 3rd gens came out.After that the 3rd gens had the entirely different trans system than the 2nd gens
                            It sounds to me as if you got the early 3rd gen but its been registered wrong as the 3rd gens without the 2nd gen trans can be driven permenant 4wd

Can someone please tell me if i am right or wrong with this please.
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

There si nothing 'wrong' with the truck, you can get 3rd Gens without the multimode 4WD, it works the same as the 2nd Gen but isn't the same, as the front prop on 3rd Gens is on the other side to 2nd Gens so its not the same parts.

its just a 3rd Gen with part time 4wd, not very common, but not anything 'iffy'

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X