Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Suspension Lifts and associated mods

Gentlefolk,

perhaps a newbie question, so please don't shoot me... well , maybe for going on too much.

Having trawled the forum for information on suspension lifts and various do's and don'ts...

Have I undestood this correctly.

2" lift can be managed with little other modification by a new set of coils/torsion bars and shocks (http://www.explorerprocomp.com/), with the following caveats...

Drop the front Diff 1" will place less stress on the CV's...?
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml

Possibly reduce the profile of the bump stops, to increase what little articulation there is with the Toyota IFS...
    http://www.energysuspension.com/bsp2.html 9.9132 (poss?)

Should you include rim spacers...?

No order of preference
    http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFR...es/spacers.htm
    http://www.trackstore.co.uk/wspacers.html

Obviously, going taller, will raise the centre of gravity, and affect stability forwards/backwards and sideways to a certain degree. I notice that a member (Dellboy) metioned raising the LSPV (Load sensing proportioning valve) the requisite 2" to keep that alignment... will widening the track 60mm - 64mm make sufficient difference or alter the suspension geometry completely...

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...uspension+lift

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/att...achmentid=4516

Or are they just for cosmetic value, ie. align the outside edge of the tyres with the outside edge of the wheel arch...

Thank you all for reading this far. Following advice, and general consensus from the forum, springs/shocks/diff kit are already on order... I am debating rim spacers currently, hence this post..

best wishes, andyL

Originally posted by AndyLala
    Gentlefolk,

perhaps a newbie question, so please don't shoot me... well , maybe for going on too much.

Having trawled the forum for information on suspension lifts and various do's and don'ts...

Have I undestood this correctly.

2" lift can be managed with little other modification by a new set of coils/torsion bars and shocks (http://www.explorerprocomp.com/), with the following caveats...

Drop the front Diff 1" will place less stress on the CV's...?
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml

Possibly reduce the profile of the bump stops, to increase what little articulation there is with the Toyota IFS...
    http://www.energysuspension.com/bsp2.html 9.9132 (poss?)

Should you include rim spacers...?

No order of preference
    http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/OFFR...es/spacers.htm
    http://www.trackstore.co.uk/wspacers.html

Obviously, going taller, will raise the centre of gravity, and affect stability forwards/backwards and sideways to a certain degree. I notice that a member (Dellboy) metioned raising the LSPV (Load sensing proportioning valve) the requisite 2" to keep that alignment... will widening the track 60mm - 64mm make sufficient difference or alter the suspension geometry completely...

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...uspension+lift

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/att...achmentid=4516

Or are they just for cosmetic value, ie. align the outside edge of the tyres with the outside edge of the wheel arch...

Thank you all for reading this far. Following advice, and general consensus from the forum, springs/shocks/diff kit are already on order... I am debating rim spacers currently, hence this post..

best wishes, andyL
    A 2" lift won't make too much of a difference if any to the handling. Raising the LSPV is to make sure that the back brakes don't either lock up or fail to operate. The LSPV changes the pressure applied to the rear brakes so that they work more when loaded and less when empty. This is to stop them locking when the load is light.

Spacers are mainly for 2 reasons.

1. Cosmetic, they help the wheels fill the arches.
    2. More importantly they help to improve the steering lock when larger tyres are fitted. Means you don't need to do 3 point turns around roundabouts. Again these are really more improtant when you are fitting rally large tyres such as 33x11.5 or bigger.

Cheers

Comment

More thoughts...

<Quote>

Raising the LSPV is to make sure that the back brakes don't either lock up or fail to operate. The LSPV changes the pressure applied to the rear brakes so that they work more when loaded and less when empty. This is to stop them locking when the load is light.

</Quote>

Thanks for your response Andy...
      so raising the LSPV is a good thing...?

Thinking about this, should the LSPV be raised? If the LSPV is just a brake proportioning valve, should the associated sensor be moved? If the LSPV also contains the Sensor... if the LSPV senses the load applied to the rear axle, and so is relative to the weigth shift in relation to the rear axle. The only thing that will change is the weight rotating in relation to the rear axle (raise in height 1 1/2" to 2"), so if the weight/centre of gravity had shifted forward (during braking), shouldn't the LSPV move in that direction?

Anyone else got any thoughts...?

andyL

Comment

<Quote>

Raising the LSPV is to make sure that the back brakes don't either lock up or fail to operate. The LSPV changes the pressure applied to the rear brakes so that they work more when loaded and less when empty. This is to stop them locking when the load is light.

</Quote>

Thanks for your response Andy...
        so raising the LSPV is a good thing...?

Thinking about this, should the LSPV be raised? If the LSPV is just a brake proportioning valve, should the associated sensor be moved? If the LSPV also contains the Sensor... if the LSPV senses the load applied to the rear axle, and so is relative to the weigth shift in relation to the rear axle. The only thing that will change is the weight rotating in relation to the rear axle (raise in height 1 1/2" to 2"), so if the weight/centre of gravity had shifted forward (during braking), shouldn't the LSPV move in that direction?

Anyone else got any thoughts...?

andyL
        Andy.

Basically the sensor is a long arm attached to the axle, the LSPV is attached to the body. As the weight goes up the arm moves to compensate. As you raise the suspension the arm goes up so you need to compensate for this by moving the valve to reset the position that it would be when unloaded. The Arm is mounted on a pivot so actually moves in and out. I think the LSPV should be moved towards the drivers side to compensate.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Andy,

better make some time to have an investigate underneath the rear...

best wishes, andyL

Comment

update on progress.

Further to these posts.

I have now fitted my ProComp 2" 20% uprated rear springs and ES9000 shocks at each corner. These, with the 3" longer braided brake hoses, has made a temendous difference. Tyres at the correct pressure, etc.

I also have wound up the torsion bars as much as I can. The limiting factor on the 2nd Gen appears to be the hand brake cable which passes through a tube smack bang in the middle of the path of the torsion bar adjuster stopping it from going any higher. Total lift to the front end now appears to give 13 3/8" rim edge to inside botom edge of wheel arch. Am i doing something wrong, when everyone else appears to be getting 14 1/2"?

Further on this lifting project... A Roger Brown 1" Diff Drop kit to realign the CV joints, or at least bring them a little more in line. Pasenger side will go in with plenty of space to spare, however, the forward facing drive shaft from the transfer case to the front dif now touches the anti-roll bar... surely this isn't right? There appears to be no way to get the diff drop in with the anti-roll bar there... any suggestions?

Thanks for reading this far...

andyL

Comment

OK, I am ready to be flamed.

Replying to my own posts and having to be reminded of the obvious....

Firstly, Roger Brown Diff Drop kit is for 3rd Gen's, not second... no wonder it didn't fit. (RTFM comes to mind)

Secondly, spacing down the anti-roll bar mount by one inch, and it will fit.

Painfully obvious.... (its part of the same drive system, why not...)

Apologies for any upset caused... I shall continue mumbling to myself.

andyL

Comment

OK, I am ready to be flamed.

Replying to my own posts and having to be reminded of the obvious....

Firstly, Roger Brown Diff Drop kit is for 3rd Gen's, not second... no wonder it didn't fit. (RTFM comes to mind)

Secondly, spacing down the anti-roll bar mount by one inch, and it will fit.

Painfully obvious.... (its part of the same drive system, why not...)

Apologies for any upset caused... I shall continue mumbling to myself.

andyL
                Any before and after pics???
                Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Ahhh, best laid plans... etc.

Yes there are, but...

I can't splice them together to show any real difference.

Rear end has really gone up. It was almost riding on the bump stops at the rear (within 3/4"), after a week the front end is within 1/4" or where it was before - within 1" of lower bumpstop... so not best pleased after all those skuffed knuckles, swearing and blood loss.

Spare is under the rear... and you can read the LSD oil only sticker when standing a little ways behind the vehicle now... rear gate folded down is nicely at crotch height now.

Front end... well I think it has gone up... won't go past 13 3/8" rim edge to arch edge. Blasted hand brake cable guide on the drivers side seems to be in the way of winding the Torsions any further up. I'll revisit the front end at the weekend, when my "Toy" gets a thorough service, prior to its French excursion. I think a large pry bar and some judicious use of the 'persuader' to encourage a little more movement of the torsion adjusters...

I'll try and remember to take some photos this weekend, rather than getting wrapped up in getting the work done. (Mechanic mate had a hot date and wanted plenty of time to clean his hands ahead of some 'action' - note to self - must pull his chain about it... 'cos he probably didn't)

More to follow.

andyLala

Comment

Got an after photo.Currently measures 13 1/2" rim to bottom edge of wheel arch front and rear....

It didn't look too bad before. It was just almost riding on the bumpstops front and rear. There is now a moderate crease in the handbrake tube on the drivers side (torsion bar adjuster bracket).

AndyL
                    Attached Files

Comment

It looks the MUTZ now mate. nice snorkel
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Thanks,

just want to go taller now...
                        1 1/1" ball joint spacers, Downey rear Spring spacers. Now I understand how slippery this slope is.... I fully understand what Dellboy meant.

andyL

Comment

Now I Know.

Andy

I now know where you live and I'd like a pound for every time I'v stuck a forum
                          ticket on your wind screen. Should have put your pic's up earlier. Will be passing you about 6.55 friday. Give us a wave.
                          Geoff
                          Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Thanks, that made me smile.

I won't be here friday evening (would have put the kettle on too), I shall be in Deauville (france) hopefully...

Was that you I spotted on the A312 earlier then?

Actually, if you are going to be at the Uxbridge show, depending on how the family are after we return from our summer sojourn, I might drag them all up for a walk round the show, and introduce myself.

andyL
                            Last edited by AndyLala; 29 June 2004, 19:30.

Comment

Ha! Now you have it. Thats one mean MF of a roof rack you have on there dude. Must weigh quite a bit! If you gor for spacers front and rear, you're gonna have to get bigger shoes, cause those 31's will look very silly in there! Looks great, love the snorkle. Do you have a part no for it? pls
                              Del
                              Derek :
                              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                              [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Working...
                              X