Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robnw67
    Well - I have achieved partial success - I connected a 12v supply direct to the compressor and it runs. I am not sure if the air was particularly cold because it's chilled down here. But I'll try it again tomorrow in the heat of the day.

I guess the switch controls a relay and has a fuse somewhere - anyone know where these are so I can check them out?

Cheers

Rob
    Your aircon fuse is behind the glovebox. When switching on the aircon you should hear the engine revs pick up. Have you been off road in muddy conditions? See my post in General Section: Aircon Problems? Been Off Roading? I took half an acre of mud out from between the bash plate and the aircon rad. The rad is still clogged so I am going to be busy with the hose tomorrow.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Freezing my a$$ off

Well I have just spent a chilly morning - why? Because my air con is working again!!

It was just a simple case of the gas evaporating away. The guy pressure checked and vacuum checked the system on Friday - no problems. Then just came along and re-filled with gas today - £80 and the job done at my home - excellent.

Now we got to hope for good weather!

Rob

Comment

Be Careful

I know this reply is a little late, but hope it helps.

I worked as a fridge engineer for many years occasionally doing the odd car a/c job.
        If the system has lost it's gas it is not a simple case of re-gassing. The a/c system is a semi-hermetically sealed unit and under no circumstances should it loose it's gas without good reason - leak etc.
        Also I seem to remember that refrigerant oil has an affinity for moisture. If the leak is on the low pressure side air/moisture can be drawn into the system, if the low pressure switch is u/s. The filter will absorb some of this, but only a small amount.
        If the system is re-gassed with air/moisture in the system, it will affect the running pressures and maybe even take out your compressor.

Remember - if your gas has gone there must be a reason for it.

Cheers
        Ian
        Last edited by Ian; 22 June 2004, 13:03.
        [size=4][color=lime]WORK TO DRIVE[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=lime]DRIVE TO WORK[/color][/size]

Comment

Felt Seal

According to the chap who re-filled the system, the compressor has a seal made from a 'felt'-like material. This seal dries out and shrinks slightly, allowing the refridgerant (which is a very small molecule) to leak past.

It's probably not the same for a fridge because the compressor can be direct drive from an electric motor where a compressor on a car ac system has a magnetic clutch from the belt drive.

When the guy re-filled the system he did a pressure test and a vacuum test. The system held a vacuum for 4 days so I think it's reasonably well sealed.

Anyway, the system has held the gas for several weeks now, so I think it's ok.

Will keep ya'll posted.

Comment

sounds iffy

Rob,
            Sorry mate but the 'felt seal' sounds a bit iffy to me.
            The pressures that the unit run at would blast anything like that out of the housing.
            I hope your unit is running ok. But there must be a leak somewhere. Pressure testing with nitrogen and a trace of refrigerant is the way to go to be sure. Vac testing can pull a leaking seal tight together, which defeats the object.

As far as a/c units and fridges not being the same. A large number of industrial units work on the same principle of having an external motor, diesel or electric, and belts connecting the two. Most of the stuff I worked on had a spring loaded ceramic seal to prevent refrigerant loss from the compressor.
            I admit it has been @ 7 years since working in this field and things may have changed a bit. But, 'Your tyres don't go down if you ain't got a leak'. A/C units are the same.
            Cheers
            Ian
            Last edited by Ian; 22 June 2004, 12:19.

Comment

All is ok

When the guy came to re-fill my system he did a pressurisation with nitrogen and a dye check. No leaks.

I have come across this felt seal before when my dad's Granada lost its refridgerant and the system was described to me then. However, with the power of the net, I found the following. The felt seal is about halfway down these pages:

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/7954/
              http://www.hotrod.com/howto/7975/

And there is a load of other places to read about it. Suffice to say that I am convinced enough not to worry about it!!

Rob

http://www.air-care-automotive.co.uk/FAQ.htm

http://www.airconditioningforcars.co...nowthatitneeds

Comment

ok

Rob,
                Fair enough I stand corrected on the felt seal. Also I'm glad to hear your man did a nitrogen test, a lot of people don't.

I'm not saying you have to worry about it, just that if a leak wasn't repaired it's obviously still there and you will be paying out for another regas next year.

Cheers
                Ian

Comment

Aircon refill -possible

Well been using the Air Con alot recently (not really biting like it used to be). Got down from the romp on sunday and noticed frothing in the spyglass. Presume need to refill so anyone know nearest place to Bolton where I can get it checked and filled.

cheers
                  Gaz

Comment

Working...
                  X