No announcement yet.

Locking hubs!?!? i need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the hubs are locked the front shafts should turn when the wheels turn. Unlocked they will not. Check this before pulling everything apart. If all is ok then your problem is with the ADD or transfer case.

Nev

Comment

oh yea! i misunderstood you lol, ya i defiantly had it in 4wd but all the wheels are spinning individually.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
        If the hubs are locked the front shafts should turn when the wheels turn. Unlocked they will not. Check this before pulling everything apart. If all is ok then your problem is with the ADD or transfer case.

Nev

Assuming it's actually in 4wd. He doesn't seem to know what that is!

Edit: Maybe he does!
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by wpg_kzn130 View Post
          oh yea! i misunderstood you lol, ya i defiantly had it in 4wd but all the wheels are spinning individually.
          They will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by wpg_kzn130 View Post
            If the front wheels lose traction and spin then its in 4wd and working...

I think/hope!

*looks over shoulder for trev*

Comment

Do what Nev said. Another way of checking is to unlock them and try to turn the front drive shafts by hand, if they turn, you know the hubs are unlocked. Then go lock them and try again. If they don't turn, they're locked.

Another Edit: Assuming the truck is in 2wd!
              Last edited by Albannach; 24 February 2009, 00:54.

Comment

alright i'll go do that

Comment

i have a noob question if i may.
                  what do people put locking hubs on for? what do they do?

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
                    i have a noob question if i may.
                    what do people put locking hubs on for? what do they do?
                    It allows the wheels to spin without the front shafts, diff and driveshaft to spin.

In the surf when the transfer case is not engaged the front drivetrain will still all turn, but is being turned by the wheels not by the driveshaft.

With the hubs unlocked, just the wheels turn, saving a bit of wear and potentially a bit of performance/mpg.

Also, you "could" weld up your front diff (so that it behaves like a locked diff or a solid axle) and then when you lock your hubs you are effectively getting proper diff-locked wheels (i.e. they behave like a spool and both will rotate at the same speed even if one airborne).

Potentially the cheapest way to get a locking/unlocking axle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ava_Banana View Post
                      Also, you "could" weld up your front diff .
                      And god help you if you forget to unlock the hubs, which I've done several times!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        And god help you if you forget to unlock the hubs, which I've done several times!
                        [brainiac voice] .....did it screech.......or did it go bang.....[/brainiac voice]

Comment

Working...
                        X