Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas?

Couple of things. Been out for about 8 hours yesterday in the snow and using 4wd probably 70% of the time (not on tarmac only on snow) I have a body lift and sus lift and freewheel hubs so the huds were locked all day and this morning.

Fronm yesterday afternoon I could hear a noise when driving that sounded (appropriately) like quiet sleigh bells or keys being shaken. Could only hear it when moving not idling.
    As I had a couple of shackles at the end of my tow rope wrapped on the outside of the Surf I presumed it was these chinking together.
    When I went out today without the shackles it was still there.

Had a look under the truck for any loose parts and couldn't see anything. Tried disengaging the hubs and made no difference.

What I did see however was that the ball joint gaiter was leaking grease and squirted out water when I squeezed it. Came straight home and havent driven any more. Going to try and see if I can force some grease in and gaffer tape it when its dried out a bit.

a) Could it have been this making the noise? Wouldnt have thought so as it seemed to increase incrementally with speed. If not what the hell could it be? Worried about tranny wind up but it was all on snow with 4wd engaged which will surely allow enough slip to negate this?

b) can I just get the gaiter replaced or do I need the whole BJ from milners. Also (stupid question .. is it the upper or lower BJ?) See pic[IMG][/IMG]

3. When we fitted the BJ spacers GWH suggested getting longer grease nipples to fit. Cant seem to find them anywhere. Any ideas?

On a side note, being a mechanical numpty, should CV and ball joint boots feel as if they are full of grease? My CV boots feel empty.

Ta
    Last edited by biosurf; 3 February 2009, 17:25.

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
    Couple of things. Been out for about 8 hours yesterday in the snow and using 4wd probably 70% of the time (not on tarmac only on snow) I have a body lift and sus lift and freewheel hubs so the huds were locked all day and this morning.

Fronm yesterday afternoon I could hear a noise when driving that sounded (appropriately) like quiet sleigh bells or keys being shaken. Could only hear it when moving not idling.
    As I had a couple of shackles at the end of my tow rope wrapped on the outside of the Surf I presumed it was these chinking together.
    When I went out today without the shackles it was still there.

Had a look under the truck for any loose parts and couldn't see anything. Tried disengaging the hubs and made no difference.

What I did see however was that the ball joint gaiter was leaking grease and squirted out water when I squeezed it. Came straight home and havent driven any more. Going to try and see if I can force some grease in and gaffer tape it when its dried out a bit.

a) Could it have been this making the noise? Wouldnt have thought so as it seemed to increase incrementally with speed. If not what the hell could it be? Worried about tranny wind up but it was all on snow with 4wd engaged which will surely allow enough slip to negate this?

b) can I just get the gaiter replaced or do I need the whole BJ from milners. Also (stupid question .. is it the upper or lower BJ?) See pic

3. When we fitted the BJ spacers GWH suggested getting longer grease nipples to fit. Cant seem to find them anywhere. Any ideas?

On a side note, being a mechanical numpty, should CV and ball joint boots feel as if they are full of grease? My CV boots feel empty.

Ta
    a) Possibly, it'll move more as you speed up.
    b) Whole BJ (Upper)
    3. Longer grease gun
    Side note: CV - Not necessarily. If it's not split, there'll be grease in there. BJ - Yes, it should do.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

A ball joint with no grease wont be noisy like you describe. How are your pads looking? They have screamers fitted that rub on the disc when low. Thats where my money is.
      Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

as jonny said brakes
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Did my son's front pads, (2.4) same thing/sound,
          and it cured it!! It get's worse as the pad linings
          get thinner.

Hope this helps.

Gman
          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Thankin' you kindly gentlemen. I'll order pads and BJ tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
              I'll order BJ tomorrow!

Comment

bronze bushes need replaceing
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                  bronze bushes need replaceing
                  Hmm.... could they have becoem comprimised by putting on a second hand set of locking hubs?
                  and is that both inner and outer would need replacing?
                  Last edited by biosurf; 4 February 2009, 12:42.

Comment

Did this problem get solved?

Used my truck to pull the caravan at the weekend.
                    Noticed that I had a similar noise to the OP.
                    Wondered if it could be the cv joint as I know the pads are fine?
                    Checked the wheel bearing and that was fine.

How would you check if the cv joint is knackered?
                    What can go wrong if it's not sorted?

Cheers

Steve

Comment

If the CV joint fails you lose drive to that wheel.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

free wheeling hubs worn causes that noise, just changed mine last weekend and noise has gone

Comment

As it's not the rear I will risk running the truck till I get chance to sort a fix

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Free wheel hubs

Years ago when I used to race Minis and Anglias the way to test if a CV joint on a Mini front end was on its way out....
                            Find a nice flat empty carpark/tarmac surface. using full lock(left and right)put the vehicle into reverse and drive slowly in circles,if the joint is fubarred it usually shows up as a knocking noise.
                            Not sure if this would work on a Surf,but worth a try.

Comment

I am a bad person!

Went through a step by step test to track down the noise.
                              As the noise didn't go away when I pressed the brake pedal I thought it can't be the pads.

But it was.

Because I only get to use the truck on high days and holidays one of the brake pistons has got stiff and didn't release pressure on the pad/disc.
                              Uneven wear on the pad.
                              New pads needed.

Another kick in the nuts.
                              I drove straight by Milners at the weekend, squeaking as I went.

Just goes to show check the obvious

Many thanks

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X