hissing filler cap- blocked breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hissing filler cap- blocked breather

I've had the hissing noise when i remove my filler cap for a while and am now noticably losing power a few minutes after driving with the cap back on.
    I know from searching that this means that my fuel tank breather is blocked.

Using the pic below (thanks Bushwhacker) I have found the hose and pulled the bit that I presume is a valve of filter or summat and water ran out of the side of the hose going towards the filler opening.

Also my filter was fitted the other way round to the one in the photo. It has an arrow on it which in the photo would seem to imply that the flow goes from the breather to the filler opening. If this breather is to allow air in to the tank to replace the space taken up by the fuel being used shouldnt the flow be the other direction?

I dont really understand how this breather works as both ends of the hose seem to be attached to the tank (I was initially expecting it to be a little raised breather similar to the ones on the diff)

So how do I go about unblocking it? Do I need to somehow pull all the hoses and run something through them (not the easiest to reattach) and how do I clean the bit I have puled off? I can blow and suck a very small stream of air through it but it doesnt seem to do this freely.

Thanks, may have this all arse about face as I ent very bright me
    Attached Files
    Last edited by biosurf; 28 December 2008, 16:14.

Drill a small hole in your filler cap. Job done!

Comment

I think it is a one way valve on that filter thing on the tank
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet View Post
        Drill a small hole in your filler cap. Job done!
        Keep being tempted to do this but the only problem I see with this is increasing the levels of condensation in the tank due to there being a constant way open to the outside world. As its hard enough to dewater veg I try to keep the tank full in the winter to reduce the levels of condensation in the cold weather so I'd love another solution, though will do this when my patience runs out

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
        I think it is a one way valve on that filter thing on the tank
        any idea which is the right way around? The way in the pic or the way mine was?

Comment

i am almost 100% certain that its the way in the pic as i can vaguely remember it being like that on one of the old fuel tanks i took off a breaker
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers Rich

Comment

Yes, this is the way it is installed on my car. The arrow on mine has a note that says something like "To Engine". Pull it off and get a syringe full of hot soapy water - squirt this through the filter a few times and plenty of dirt will come out. It will then blow quite easy one way but still restricted the other way - you can see that one end (the end you squirt the syringe into) has a larger opening and the other has a much smaller opening - air will go both ways but only easily in the one direction. I don't know what price Toyota charge for a new one, but mine works well now, after a good wash.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X