4wd problem engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd problem engaging

I recently had a new engine and alternator fitted.
    It was seemingly all working fine until I needed 4wd drive today whilst stuck in the snow.
    It wont engange, the light doesnt come on and no matter of moving back and forth frees it up.
    The gear engages, I switch the switch on the lever but no 4wd for sure, I sure was stuck.
    I wonder if its the alternator or engine fitting that had been done incorrectly.
    Unfortunatly this was done in another country so not so easy to pop back and complaign.

Any help most appretiated.....

Check the small diameter rubber vacuum hoses that come from the vacuum pump on the alternator, have been re-connected.

Comment

do u know of any diagrams i can find on here?

Comment

Here you go mate.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

pipe wanst connected! romanians mate cant trust em.
          problem is it still aint workin. has it being unconnected caused some problems??

Comment

Check the relay is workin under the plastic in front of the gear shifter, press button and listen for the click.
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

in the dash or in the lever itself? i guess im listening for a little click?

Comment

The button in the little lever, press that and listen and you should hear a click coming from behind the plastic panel under the stereo.

If no click the control box is maybe broken, engine has to be running
                Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

great service mate. i hear a click, it happens when i engage the gear regardless of pressing the button. i disengage, there is a little delay then it clicks again.

Comment

In that case with engine running follow the pipe up from the alternator and pull it off the solenoides attached to the inner wing, check it for vacuum (this has to be done with 4wd engaged), if no vacuum, pump on alternator will be jiggered, if youve got vacuum, put back on the solenoid, and take off the one leading on from the solenoid and see if there is suction the other side of the sloenoid if you see what i mean, they could be the problem
                    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by kieran2698
                      great service mate. i hear a click, it happens when i engage the gear regardless of pressing the button. i disengage, there is a little delay then it clicks again.
                      Thats OK, when you shift the lever manually, you don't need to press the button, thats only to get 4H, when you don't move the lever.

Listen for the T/case solonoid working, the front prop shaft should lock, then the ADD on the front axle will work next, which then lights the light on the dash.

Check the vacuum pipes from tha Alt to the VSV's on the inner wing are plumbed in, or sometimes the steering column rubs holes in the vacuum pipes that run down the inner wing to the front diff.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

There needs to be vacuum from both solenoids when 4wd is engaged
                        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

think i found the problem, the solenoids are the little boxes atached to the body right? theres two differnt lots. the ones further from the front end, are they the ones? Theres a pipe that leads accross the turbo that has a t joint in it. If thats the one that must be the problem as that joined pipe just dont lead to anything, its not even got a long enough pipe on it to reach the alternator but i recon thats where its suposed to headin.

Comment

That will almost definitley be it, pipe will be cheap and youll be flying about in the snow very soon
                            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

yeah i'll get that sorted in the mornin.

thanks very much mate, youre a diamond, a right proper gentleman.

Comment

Working...
                              X