Pi**ing on chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pi**ing on chips

Not wanting to p*ss on anyones chips but I reconnected my EGR the other day and it has actually improved the performance and economy ??????? The engine also runs obviously cooler and seems smoother. I suspect it could have different effects on how the pump timing is set up etc and removing the EGR might alter the mixture settings??? I wonder if anyone has disconnected their EGR and had the engine re-tuned? I don't know about smoke from the exhaust because mine dosn't give out any with the EGR on or off.

I know this subject is often talked about so it may be worth while having a sticky under modifications etc?

Andy

Originally posted by Andy W
    Not wanting to p*ss on anyones chips but I reconnected my EGR the other day and it has actually improved the performance and economy ??????? The engine also runs obviously cooler and seems smoother. I suspect it could have different effects on how the pump timing is set up etc and removing the EGR might alter the mixture settings??? I wonder if anyone has disconnected their EGR and had the engine re-tuned? I don't know about smoke from the exhaust because mine dosn't give out any with the EGR on or off.

I know this subject is often talked about so it may be worth while having a sticky under modifications etc?

Andy
    No haven't had my engined re-tuned just disconnected EGR.

As for a sticky post under mods, i don't think it really counts. Disconnecting the EGR is not what i would call a modification as such. Its down to personal preference and a lot of things depend on it working or not, is your EGR working in the first place? any split vacuum pipes? is your motor really running perfect in the first place? out of tune, need a tune etc. etc
    Disconnecting works for some and not others, I am not prepared to say its a mod and get blamed/accused for someones motor going wrong. Its one of those things you try or you don't, it works or it don't.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Not forgetting the political correctness of the forum - increases emissions if you disconnect the EGR.

I seem to remember Tony mentioning this on the old forum

Rich.
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
        Not forgetting the political correctness of the forum - increases emissions if you disconnect the EGR.

I seem to remember Tony mentioning this on the old forum

Rich.
        Yep it does increase the emissions but only the NOx emissions which aren't measured here. It will actually reduce the Carbon Monoxide and Particulate emissions if you remove it. If you look at the exhausts of Buses and Taxis then it's the particulate emissions that show up.

Koi and I were talking about maybe putting the EGRs back on our cars since the new heads to see if there is much difference if any. Probably try it to do and see what it's like over the weekend.

Cheers

Comment

What is an EGR, where does it live and why would you want to disconnect it in the first plece???

Does it perform a similar function to the flux capacitor????
          '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

There has been much talked about the EGR. I can't remember what it stands for but I know the other guys know.

It's purpose is to reduce emissions, it also apparently reduces power, reduces fuel economy and increases smoke.

From what I have read on the forum in the last year it seems to depend on each vehicle and as mentioned in this thread some are looking to reverse the process to see if the gains are noticeable by reversing the mod.

The mod was basically to remove one of the pipes and block it up, simple but effective - maybe :lol:
            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyboy
              What is an EGR, where does it live and why would you want to disconnect it in the first plece???

Does it perform a similar function to the flux capacitor????
              Exhaust Gas Recircilation
              basically it is a vacuum controlled valve which opens under certain driving conditions to introduce exhaust gasses into the combustion process, it lowers burn temperatures which then reduces Nox emmisions, some side effects of having an EGR fitted are a small loss of power, and some smoking on some engines. The opposite is gained by disconnecting it. It is an ongoing debate whether to connect or disconnect, do you want more power, or do you want a cooler running engine?
              [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Quite happy with the power and torque on my 3.0td. A bit more fuel economy would be nice!

Comment

Quite happy with the power and torque on my 3.0td. A bit more fuel economy would be nice!
                  Its all the power and torque that you are playing with thats ruining your MPG! Try owning a V6 3.0lt petrol 4Runner.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

re-connected EGR today, and noticed that a 'chattering' noise which i thought was something loose in the engine bay had stopped, also not noticing any loss of power or smoke, engine seems to have a different 'note' when accelarating.
                    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Tony, If they made a V8 I would be veeerrryy tempted.

Anyone ever tried an lpg conversion for a v6?

Comment

Tony, If they made a V8 I would be veeerrryy tempted.

Anyone ever tried an lpg conversion for a v6?
                        Our very own Rusty (steve) has an LPG'ed one. He loves it, I run LPG in my V8 pickup, the 4Runner dosn't do that many miles per week at the moment, so havn't bothered yet

Comment

Does it work out cheaper than running a diesel?

Comment

even at 15mpg (usually get plenty more) @ 36p a liter, gives you a roughly equivalent cost of a car doing 30mpg, not many 3.0TD's will do that daily driving, so once the cost of the kit is paid for, I'd say a definate YES! plus you still have the quiet, smooth, V6 power.

Comment

Tony, I hear that the suits are going to put duty on LPG at some point... me thinx this may make it more painful - not sure when or if it's gonna happen though

Jim
                              [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Working...
                              X