4wd woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd woes

Hi all. have posted before on this, my 2.4L 4wd wont behave.

have been right through and checked all vacuum pipes, all ok, and I can actually hear the actuator work in both directions so am confident all controls to it are ok.

when I engage 4wd from the electrical button on the shift I hear a whir, followed by a clonk, various switches and relays click etc and for a moment the 4wd light flashes on, but usually drops off again a moment later. the truck doesnt go into 4wd as checked by turning front wheels.

I have tried driving it back and forth a bit but am a little limited in waste (loose) ground here so havent driven that far

But I understood it to be that the 4wd light wont come on until firstly the actuator switch is made, and then the transfer case switch is made by the sleeve sliding across, which must be happening for the light to show in the first place?

and as the sleeve isnt sprung loaded, i.e. actuator has to drive the other way to disengage 4wd i'm a bit confused by this behaviour?

is it the case that i need to go find a field and blast round it in 4wd until something frees itself up in there, or any other suggestions very welcome?

thanks in advance
    Biggus Truckus..

Trace the wiring back and make sure all the connectors are on ok. Should be a connector on the front of the front diff, one on the rear of the front diff, and one or two on the t/case. May be more.

Trace the wires as far as you can up into the engine bay or whatever and check all the connectors and multiplugs along the way. I had a multiplug in the wiring from the front of the diff not connected around the n/s front shock which caused a few problems.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

really?

but i thought the electrical systems were mainly to operate the vacuum system, which is working ok, and then just to light the bulb? all wires are definitely on their appropriate switches.

im thinking the add actuator may be faulty and not driving the sleeve across properly, although it does for a second to flash 4wd on briefly
      Biggus Truckus..

Comment

My problem was a little different to yours but it was just a thought. I could sometimes select/deselect 4wd when stationary or just creeping in Drive, but with no light on the dash. If i tried to do it on the fly it didn't go to 4wd and i got a flashing 4wd light and buzzer. After reconnecting the multiplug i mentioned i regained on-the-fly 4wd selection & deselection and the light on the dash.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

ADD Actuator kaput methinks

after a lot of messing about with it, I have vacuum at the right times on the right tube to the actuator, the transfer motor is in (front driveshaft wont turn) and sucking on the tube (at VSVs or actuator end) doesnt engage 4wd.

before taking it off, (bit of a pain, air con condenser in the way) has anyone had any experience of these, is it likely to be serviceable, or a replacement job?

and it would be too much to hope anyone might have a spare one laying around anywhere in their sheds have they?
          Biggus Truckus..

Comment

could try sledge or monsterer's breakers or any of the other breaker's in parts for sale. Or anyone that's done a solid axle swap
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

This link may help.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

Nev

Comment

re

Thanks guys.
                Biggus Truckus..

Comment