Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the Gearbox???

Hi all,

I recently put a thread on here about the problems I'm having with my surf and the wheels not engaging when I pull away, (I think it was called 4WD). I was advised that it was more than likely the gearbox, so I had a gearbox fitted, after driving it around for a while the exact same problem came back. I thought I had been supplied with a dodgy gearbox, so I had another one sent down and had it fitted but the problem is still there. When I drive around for a while the wheels don't seem to want to engage, its fine when its cold only happens when the ATF has warmed up.

I spoke to someone who owns a 4X4 and he said that it could be the torque converter. Does that sound about right or what else could be causing this mind numbing problem. If it is the torque converter how much do they normally go for?

Please can someone shed some light on this problem.
    When the going gets tough...The Surf gets going!!!

Apart from the main coolant hose, is there two smaller pipes/hoses coming from the botton of you radiator?

Comment

I dont know I havent checked that. What would that indicate?

Comment

Originally posted by ninja_king
        I dont know I havent checked that. What would that indicate?

It would indicate that the radiator has the in-built transmission cooler.
        As you say the problems start when the engine/trans is warm/hot, it may be that the cooler is blocked or not connected.

However, if the pipes are not there, then you may have a manual transmission rad fitted with no cooler.

Comment

All I know is that its a 2nd gen automatic...if that helps at all

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            It would indicate that the radiator has the in-built transmission cooler.
            As you say the problems start when the engine/trans is warm/hot, it may be that the cooler is blocked or not connected.

However, if the pipes are not there, then you may have a manual transmission rad fitted with no cooler.
            Would that cause the wheels not to engage when pulling away? Also would that have any reflection on the amount of fuel that it seems to be using?

Comment

Sounds like you be having probs with ECU

Search the aussie site - its been covered

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                Sounds like you be having probs with ECU

Search the aussie site - its been covered

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
                Apart from checking the website, can you advise me anything?

Comment

Apart from checking the website, can you advise me anything?
                  At least make an attempt at helping yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    At least make an attempt at helping yourself.
                    Thanks for the advice mate but the forum has loads of stuff to do with ECU, and I've already looked but it helps if you know what your looking for, as I dont, I thought I would ask...but seeing as I'm not asking you...Mind your own $$$$ing business.

Comment

now, now boys put your handbags away!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice mate but the forum has loads of stuff to do with ECU, and I've already looked but it helps if you know what your looking for, as I dont, I thought I would ask...but seeing as I'm not asking you...Mind your own $$$$ing business.
                        Oh sorry. Took more than two minutes of your time to try searching and browsing the information available did it? Other peoples time is no less precious than yours. If you cannot make the effort to at least spend several hours looking for yourself, do not expect others to do so for you. Bushwhacker gave you valid advice, to which you have still not replied with an answer. I will reiterate. Get off your arse and make at least an attempt at helping yourself. If you cannot be bothered to investigate and revise the advice given, why should one bother giving advice?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                          Oh sorry. Took more than two minutes of your time to try searching and browsing the information available did it? Other peoples time is no less precious than yours. If you cannot make the effort to at least spend several hours looking for yourself, do not expect others to do so for you. Bushwhacker gave you valid advice, to which you have still not replied with an answer. I will reiterate. Get off your arse and make at least an attempt at helping yourself. If you cannot be bothered to investigate and revise the advice given, why should one bother giving advice?
                          well said, give that man a medal

Comment

Working...
                          X