Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preparing already

Good evening

Want to start preparing for the annual vacation down to south of Spain and this time i dont want any problems eg overheating going across the mountains so i have ordered an oil cooler from a company called Kenlow and wanted to replace the thermostat with an earlier opening one is there one available also has any one had much luck with oil coolers on their surfs any other suggestions to aid cooling would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

AFT cooler, or engine oil cooler?

AFT cooler is a sound investment for any reasonably heavy towing.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

A cooling question. With regards to the thermostat, stick with what is in there already. Which engine is it? For the 2.4, there is only one temp thermostat as far as I know. For the 3.0, there are several. However, I honestly wouldn't bother. Unless you are running the engine in extreme temperatures or under constant high load, the standard thermo' will keep the engine at it's best operating temperature.

With regards to the ATF cooler, a thermostatic valve would be worth considering as well. That will use the normal cooling route until the fluid reaches a certain temp, and only then allow it to flow through the auxilliary cooler. Plus side is that it allows the gearbox to get upto preferred working temp more quickly.

Comment

Sorry i didnt give you all the info mine is a manual can i still fit an engine oil cooler though. also have read some threads on electric fans on a thermostat and with manual override any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by christopoher murphy
          Sorry i didnt give you all the info mine is a manual can i still fit an engine oil cooler though. also have read some threads on electric fans on a thermostat and with manual override any suggestions.
          With regards to fitting on external oil cooler, it's getting the kit that can be a devil. As far as I know, none of the sandwich plate take-off manufacturers produce one with the correct size centre stud for the Surf filter. I may be incorrect, however. Last time I looked, I never found one suitable.

With regards to the electric fan, I'm running that in mine, and upto just, the temperature has been extremely well regulated. However, I haven't been able to give it thorough testing in warmer weather or under extended load yet, so I can't say as to the overall benefit and regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            With regards to fitting on external oil cooler, it's getting the kit that can be a devil. As far as I know, none of the sandwich plate take-off manufacturers produce one with the correct size centre stud for the Surf filter. I may be incorrect, however. Last time I looked, I never found one suitable.

With regards to the electric fan, I'm running that in mine, and upto just, the temperature has been extremely well regulated. However, I haven't been able to give it thorough testing in warmer weather or under extended load yet, so I can't say as to the overall benefit and regulation.

yay!

Go Matt, Go Matt, Go Matt, Go Matt..........

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              yay!

Go Matt, Go Matt, Go Matt, Go Matt..........

I thought I did rather well resisting posting **THE** link, though.

Comment

Working...
              X