Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!

Chillitt and I are very confused and need some help!

We've recently re-fitted my fuel pump, after having some leaks sorted. It's all back together, but the thing won't start. It's turning over but not catching. There is fuel going to the injectors, which we've been bleeding, so we're happy that diesel is getting to the engine.

It fired up once for a few seconds, but then died.

Any ideas would be gratefully received at this moment in time!

Cheers

Ferret
    "Canis Auxilio Servimus"

Originally posted by The Ferret
    Chillitt and I are very confused and need some help!

We've recently re-fitted my fuel pump, after having some leaks sorted. It's all back together, but the thing won't start. It's turning over but not catching. There is fuel going to the injectors, which we've been bleeding, so we're happy that diesel is getting to the engine.

It fired up once for a few seconds, but then died.

Any ideas would be gratefully received at this moment in time!

Cheers

Ferret

Glowplugs.

If they are knackered, it'll take ages to start in this cold weather. If you charge the batteries, or connect jumper cables to Chillitt's truck, your engine may turn over fast enough to burst into life.
    A diesel needs to spin over fast to start properly.

Comment

have you done the timing on the fuel pump.if it,s out it will be filling the chambers with diesel at the wrong point
      I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

its got a pair of new batteries, and we had jump leads on it as well this afternoon... looks like i got to check the pump timing again. if the glowplugs are shot, surely it would still start eventually? thanks for the help chaps.
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
          its got a pair of new batteries, and we had jump leads on it as well this afternoon... looks like i got to check the pump timing again. if the glowplugs are shot, surely it would still start eventually? thanks for the help chaps.
          Used to drive an Astra van that once had a couple of the glowplugs go.
          Wouldn't start for love nor money unless you bumped it.

Comment

ok... it has new batteries and new glow plugs now... and this morning we checked the pump timing.. but found nowt wrong... tried it, and she goes!!! loads of grey to black smoke, and the engines quite noisy. is it over fueling? does it just need a sound thraping?
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

ok... it has new batteries and new glow plugs now... and this morning we checked the pump timing.. but found nowt wrong... tried it, and she goes!!! loads of grey to black smoke, and the engines quite noisy. is it over fueling? does it just need a sound thraping?
              hi charlie it might be burning the fuel you pumped into the cylinders previously,give it a good thrashing and see what happens.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers for the help on this folks. As Chillitt said, she's starting up reasonably well, but sounds like a tank (much noisier than usual).

I drove her steadily to the end of the close and back, where on accelleration, there is an awful, loud, fast, tinny sounding "tap-tap-tap" noise coming (I think) from the drivers side of the engine. My plan was to pop her to a garage for them to have a listen, but with it being new year and I'm back at work on Tuesday, I'd like to get it sorted if I can.

I'm a bit scared to give her a thraping, just in case I do something unforgivable, but I must admit, the temptation is there!!

Any ideas what the tapping could be, All we've changed is the fuel pump, batteries and Glow plugs. It's definately something mechanical, rather than a vibration.

Cheers

Paul
                "Canis Auxilio Servimus"

Comment

Engine oil and filter OK?

Comment

She was serviced in the summer but hasn't done more than 200 miles since. This included a full oil and filter change.

Cheers

Confused.
                    "Canis Auxilio Servimus"

Comment

does it just need a sound thraping?
                      I tried to resist, but how could I let that one go. Thraping???????

Comment

Originally posted by The Ferret
                        She was serviced in the summer but hasn't done more than 200 miles since. This included a full oil and filter change.

Cheers

Confused.
                        Bad diesel?
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Is the oil level normal? Does the tapping sound vary with revs or remain at a
                          constant level?

Comment

The oil level is normal, the tapping does get worse the harder you press the go pedal though. Due to the very short distance I drove her, she didn't have chance to get out of 2nd (she is an auto). There was a bit of a strange whining noise when I turned hard left to turn around (full lock).

Ferret
                            "Canis Auxilio Servimus"

Comment

Are all the vac pipes in place?

Comment

Working...
                              X