Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Problem?

Any advice folks
    Got a 3rd Gen 3.0L Manual and it's just started slipping when in 4th.

Don't think it's a clutch problem as all appears normal in the other gears.
    If I accelerate in 4th gear from about 40 MPH the revs rise, but not the speed (bit like having a slipping clutch)
    Problem doesn't appear above 50.

Have locked on the hand brake and tried to pull away in each gear. All gears apart from 4th the car tries to pull. In 4th I could almost let the clutch right out (didn't because I was scared of something going bang) .

Any ideas on what the problem (and more importantly) the solution is please.

It will be the clutch.

Nev

Comment

Got to agree with nev - the clutch. Only other thing I could think of is that the ring gear for 4th (attached t osecondary shaft in gerabox could be lose (don't know if they are glued on or use woodruf key etc.) If the ring gear is slipping on the shaft it would explain rise in revs but no drive in 4th only

Don't mean to worry you - go for the clutch

hawaii
      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

it's started to happen in other gears now - booked it in for a new clutch whilst I'm away. Rather glad it's not a gearbox problem!

I know I should change it my-self, but I did that once with a Disco (after the box fell apart suprisingly!) and it took forever.

Comment

Working...
        X