brake drum fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake drum fitting

went about fitting new brake drums today and managed to fit one but just wanted to check that what I did was correct: removed old drums, adjusted the star screw adjuster the wrong way first by letting the shoes move out even further, then screwed it the correct way until the shoes were retracted just enough to put the drums on, after every little adjustment of the star screw i gave the handbrake cable a pull at the rear axle, then put drums and wheels on and then worked the handbrake a couple of tmes....then had to bleed the brakes as they were spongy, was this the correct procedure? i'm not sure if the shoes are self adjusting or not, how can I tell...should I be disconnecting the handbrake somewhere while adjusting the star screw..do brakes always need bleeding after this type of adjustment? sorry i know it would have made more sense to ask all these questions before starting the job!

ent
    1989 2LT

You shouldn't have to mess with adjuster, just clean/lube it and wind it in a bit. It will adjust every pull of the handbrake, you'll hear it click round as you pull the lever, untill it's the right distance from the drum.

Generally they don't need bleeding, but sometimes moving the wheel cylinder pistons upsets things.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

ta for that

Comment

Working...
      X