3 ltr water probs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 ltr water probs???

went to milners today and the chap there noticed my header (expansion?) tank was full to the top and he advised me to empty it to the max height marking on the side which i have done!
    now for the frightening thing????
    the rad needed 2 pints of water to get it to the level in the picture and when i applied a bit of throttle (with the cap off) the water would bubble out a bit and rise over the top of the rad and fall back into the rad with the revs
    ive put the cap back on and emptied the expansion bottle to the level on the side
    this car moves at 90mph and dont miss a heart beat and ive done 1000 km since buying it last week
    the temp has never moved and i presume the header has been the same since i bought it
    you can see in the pics that the rad is full (after 2 pints) and just how full the header was
    ANY VIEWS OR COMMENTS PLEASE IM WORRIED

p.s. im sorry about the size of the pics i dont know how i got em that big lol

Last edited by shaggy; 15 April 2006, 19:01.
    at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Try putting a new rad cap on
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
      Try putting a new rad cap on
      cheers
      anybody know of anywhere open tommorow (sunday) where i can get 1
      oh yeah yorks area

Comment

doesnt sound too promising to be honest... a dodgey rad cap wont cause bubbling in the rad... if the water was bubbling out of the the rad then it may be exhaust gasses entering your cooling system either form a head gasket or worst still a cracked head. (bubbling being coolant and air bubbles, not just the sight of circulating coolant). THis wont always show in the engines performance until the crack or gasket detiriorates further, or until the fire deck on your cylinder head head and pistons start to corrode/ pit due to the moister and fuel mix burning in the cylinder. The engine may not seem to do it as much at ilde as the system and water pump etc is not pumping or working as hard... and when the throttle is increased this will increase the flow, eng temp and also the pressure and this will apear to make your Rad look full. Best thing you can do is prehaps a compression test or some garages even have a lipmus type paper they test your coolant with and it can trace acidic exhaust gasses in your coolant.

Sorry for all the Tech Poop but it all helps

anyone agree???

Vinny

Comment

fkn great!!
          just what i didnt want to happen especially when i bought a 3 ltr because of the 2.4 problems
          whats for me wont go round me i know that but im pi$$ed if this is the case

Comment

sorry matey... its just a possibility.. dont take my word on it... im just talkin from previous experiences with other engines... Its just the " bubbling" you described that caused the lil alarm bels to ring!! there should be no circulation of air in the system really... or it would cause air locks... so bubbles aint sounding good!

Get it checked out mate JIC - Just in case

Vinny

Comment

cheers
              anybody else?
              and do we have any boys in leeds area who can do me the check without lifting my leg

Comment

anyone else to back up or diss agree with what im saying?? i dont wanna be the burdon of bad news for Shaggy but some more imput would put my mind at ease!!

Comment

s##t shaggy i hope it aint serious,, wish i could help but know squat about engines, all the best dave
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

cheers
                    im sure its nothing to worry about
                    i will have to take it in to somewhere to have it checked out but i dont want just joe public garage cos they just rip you off and aint got a clue half the time

Comment

Re-new the rad cap. You should be able to get one from Halfords or a Motorists shop. Take the old one in with you to get the right rating, it's marked on the cap.
                      My water level in the rad rises and falls when I rev the engine with the rad cap off, it's the water pump pushing the coolant around.

p.s. don't ever put that size photo on here again, I'm wearing out my mouse pad trying to read this thread!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        Re-new the rad cap. You should be able to get one from Halfords or a Motorists shop. Take the old one in with you to get the right rating, it's marked on the cap.
                        My water level in the rad rises and falls when I rev the engine with the rad cap off, it's the water pump pushing the coolant around.

p.s. don't ever put that size photo on here again, I'm wearing out my mouse pad trying to read this thread!!
                        i think its cos its a link to photobucket instead of posting on the forum server!!
                        so hopefully its only the rad cap?
                        and when i bought it he said he had topped the water up for me so i hopw he has topped the water bottle up instead of the rad
                        FINGERS CROSSED
                        cheers for the replies boys

oh yeah and have a look at my post in electrical
                        i dare not even contemplate what he has done there
                        Last edited by shaggy; 15 April 2006, 22:33.

Comment

see that one shaggy and your sooooooooooo wide picture lol
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

erm!!!
                            welll!!!!
                            when i had drained the expansion bottle to the required mark and then topped the rad up from cold it has been fine ever since
                            i can only assume because it was warm when i first looked at it that was the problem
                            i have put a new rad cap on and have done 300 kms and not a problem so far
                            when cold the expansion tank level is between min & max and the rad is at the top
                            when warm the expansion tank is higher but not too high (i aint checked the rad when hot)

does this sound right to you folks?
                            and was it my over enthusiasm to check when warm that caused me to think i had a water problem?
                            or in 200 kms or so its gonna go bang ?

anyway seems fine now so will worry when i have to

Comment

All sounds normal to me dude!

Comment

Working...
                              X