Rod ends, Idlers and Pitman, oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod ends, Idlers and Pitman, oh my!

Mot failed due to these little blitters being worn and damaged. So far it's taken me all day to get the outer ball joint off, but I only managed that once I took the wheel off and introduced a splitter and hammer, But I can't get the angle to smack the inner one off....

The biggest headache is the pitman, I can get onto the bolts with a bit of reasonable leverage, but I can bearly get to the nuts on the other side.

Is there a trick to it, would I be better removing the radiator like object thats so coveneintly blocking the way...?

The things we do to save £250
    Mac The Wac

pitman arm, steering idler arm

Just thought I would jump on the bandwagon. Just got my 4runner back from the dealers and after the free safety report, they recommend that I replace the steering idler arm and the pitman arm.

Seeing as this seems to be what you are doing.................could you tell me............what exactly are they, and was it a difficult job? Where did you get the parts from and at what cost?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad Runner
      Just thought I would jump on the bandwagon. Just got my 4runner back from the dealers and after the free safety report, they recommend that I replace the steering idler arm and the pitman arm.

Seeing as this seems to be what you are doing.................could you tell me............what exactly are they, and was it a difficult job? Where did you get the parts from and at what cost?

Thanks in advance.
      Trouble with any 'free' safty report, is they are normally looking for work, especially after having to do the other stuff for free, so it might not be that bad.

The pitman arm from the steering box is usually the biggest headache, the rest come off OK with a decent ball joint splitter.

All the bits are available from Roughtrax.

The pitman arm is the bar fixed to the splines at the bottem of the steering box, the idler is the support arm on the opposite side of the chassis. They hold the tie rod up.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad Runner

Thanks in advance.
        got my stuff from milners, About the same price as Roughtrax.

I had to get my friendly nieghbourhood garage to get pitman off, which needed a grinder and a gentle lump hammering, and he had to cut one of the bolts off in the end. Now it just needs the tracking sorting and bobs your uncle!
        Mac The Wac

Comment

Working...
        X