3rd Gen AFT cooler install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen AFT cooler install.

We fitted a tranny cooler to Predictable Bobs truck yesterday. Snapped a few pics if anyone's interested.

Where it lives, to line up with the lower grill in the bumper...

other side, showing mount...

the end sections on the standard bumpers lower grill are filled in, so I broke out the Dremel.....

and cut them out, it looks nice and original still...

finally, fitted and bumper installed...

As you can see, it hardly blocks the other rads at all, and its the right size so the whole cooler is in air flow through the bumper cut out.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Can ickle baby Bullet have one please nice Mr surf fixer???

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

bet he will be pleased looks nice....
      want to make me some brackets for mine someday? - zip ties rule.
      Attached Files
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Did you fit a ATF thermostat and cooler bypass to help warm up ?
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          Did you fit a ATF thermostat and cooler bypass to help warm up ?
          Nah.

I've only ever seen then used in engine oil cooler setups. The tranny oil heats up pretty quickly lugging a 2 ton truck around IMHO.

Might do a little more reseach though.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Nah.

I've only ever seen then used in engine oil cooler setups. The tranny oil heats up pretty quickly lugging a 2 ton truck around IMHO.

Might do a little more reseach though.
            Just want to make sure the autobox gets to operating temp for best performance thats all .

Comment

Just want to make sure the autobox gets to operating temp for best performance thats all .
              whats the optimum temp range do you think rick?
              Im fitting a temp gauge to mine shortly.
              Tim

Comment

Love the brackets
                3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                  whats the optimum temp range do you think rick?
                  Im fitting a temp gauge to mine shortly.
                  Average temp of a autobox should be 175F , the fluid is designed to work best at that temp , depending on maker of fluid .
                  Being hard working , high temp motors the Surfs would reach that temp quite quick I would think , just needs to be maintained at that temp to get the best from the autobox .Over cooling of fluid can be just as bad as overheating the fluid . Cool fluid is slow to flow round and will slow the changing of gears and valves shifting in the body .

Only my opinion and based on info from various sources and are not pesific to any vehicle ( my disclaimer)

Comment

tony wheres the cooler from? every time i try to get one they start prattling on about 5/16th 1/2" or bsp threads, and apart from its 10mm pipe i.d. i havne a clue..
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                      tony wheres the cooler from? every time i try to get one they start prattling on about 5/16th 1/2" or bsp threads, and apart from its 10mm pipe i.d. i havne a clue..
                      Bob got it off e-bay, don't worry about what size the fitting are, just match whatever you end up with to a 10mm hose barb.

As for temps, allegely the light comes on at 250 deg, which is very high, but normal running it should be around 160-200.

Comment

Bob got it off e-bay, don't worry about what size the fitting are, just match whatever you end up with to a 10mm hose barb.

As for temps, allegely the light comes on at 250 deg, which is very high, but normal running it should be around 160-200.
                        degrees C or F??? Im guessing F.

get any cooler and goto Pirtek with it, they have almost every thread under the sun and should be able to match up, cant remember the pipe I bought - whatever Jotto told me too
                        Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                          degrees C or F??? Im guessing F.
                          F, also remember if you are still using the in-rad cooler, it won't get any cooler than the coolant temp, most stat's run at 88 (190 F) deg C, so if the coolant is that hot, the tranny oil will be as well. The lower end of the rad where the tranny cooler is should be cooler than that, as thats the temp of the water before entering the top of the rad, but you get the idea!

Comment

F, also remember if you are still using the in-rad cooler, it won't get any cooler than the coolant temp, most stat's run at 88 (190 F) deg C, so if the coolant is that hot, the tranny oil will be as well. The lower end of the rad where the tranny cooler is should be cooler than that, as thats the temp of the water before entering the top of the rad, but you get the idea!

maybe.. might not go inline and see what happens if its on its own

see what I feel like when I get the gauge
                            Tim

Comment

Average temp of a autobox should be 175F , the fluid is designed to work best at that temp , depending on maker of fluid .
                              Being hard working , high temp motors the Surfs would reach that temp quite quick I would think , just needs to be maintained at that temp to get the best from the autobox .Over cooling of fluid can be just as bad as overheating the fluid . Cool fluid is slow to flow round and will slow the changing of gears and valves shifting in the body .

Only my opinion and based on info from various sources and are not pesific to any vehicle ( my disclaimer)

Comment

Working...
                              X