Lower A arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower A arms

Does anybody know if the rubber bushes at the inboard ends of the lower front suspension A arms, on a torsion bar sprung truck, are replaceable or do you have to replace the whole arms? just noticed mine seem to have far to much play in them!
    Diesel, like petrol only better

yes they are,
    how did you check for play?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
      yes they are,
      how did you check for play?
      first noticed arms were "pulled" backwards when parked facing down hill
      jacked up truck a stuck a crow bar in the gap between metal of the arm and chassis, i'm guessing the big gap is part of the problem

Comment

These look good . . .

http://www.superpro.eu.com/main.htm

When I get money I'll be doing my whole lot.

Mark
        :

Comment

Poly bushes are good but ride harder than rubber ones, it stiffens things up nicely if thats what you want, but may feel slightly harsh, especially if you used to the soggy old ones.

Also, don't spare the lubricant you get with them, they squeak like a bugger if they dry out! Annoys the hell out if you, believe me, been there.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
            These look good . . .

http://www.superpro.eu.com/main.htm

When I get money I'll be doing my whole lot.

Mark
            I don't think they would have anything to suit the Surf lower bushes.These are only available as a genuine part as far as I know.There is a place over there that supplies them (Roughtrax??) but I believe they are a Toyota part.

Neville

Comment

was thinking of sticking with rubber bushes, had experience of the squeaks on my old leaf sprung hi lux, also found that being super dooper firm for on road handling they seemed to prevent/limit the flexibilty off road.

also just done my cv boots, not bad job, better if it hadn't started to p### down half way through. good tips on here plus haynes manual, shame my truck didn't match any of the pictures! mix of all of them????????

Comment

Originally posted by openback
                was thinking of sticking with rubber bushes, had experience of the squeaks on my old leaf sprung hi lux, also found that being super dooper firm for on road handling they seemed to prevent/limit the flexibilty off road.
                Exactly, if your building an offroader, rubber bushes are far better for flex, especially in the leaf spring bushes. I fitted used rubber ones in the 3/4 elip rear of my pick up, and it flexed nice.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi All,

Neville, SuperPro list two part numbers as suitable for the front lower control arm inner bushes - this is from an email I got from Richard Fearn of SuperPro:

"SPF2028K & SPF2337K. You are correct both of these kits will replace the inner bushes on the lower control arm. SPF2028K reuses the original shells in the Toyota control arm. Each kit contains 8 ‘Top Hat’ bushes and 4 steel tubes. Each bush ‘assembly’ consists of 2 bushes & 1 tube – so therefore each kit will replace the inner bushes on the front lower control arm on each side of the car.

SPF2337K does the same job as SPF2028K but comes with replacement shells. As the shells are being replaced it is possible to modify the design of the bush into a single ‘Cotton Reel’ style to replace the two top hat bushes used for each assembly in SPF2028K. It is generally felt that a single cotton real bush will work more effectively than two top hat bushes where it is practically feasible to design it that way. However, the two top hats will still give excellent performance."

After communications with Richard & other folk at SuperPro, I understand that they have bushes to replace pretty much any chassis or suspension bush. My only problem is that I can't afford them. They'd be what I'd buy if I had cash. As it is, I can't afford anything till it breaks . . .

Mark
                  :

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Exactly, if your building an offroader, rubber bushes are far better for flex, especially in the leaf spring bushes. I fitted used rubber ones in the 3/4 elip rear of my pick up, and it flexed nice.
                    I can see why you'd stick with softer bushes in the leafs as on large amounts of articulation you're asking the spring to twist on its mounts, but I would have thought poly bushes would be better in an application like a wishbone as the last thing you want that to do is twist!
                    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
                      Hi All,

Neville, SuperPro list two part numbers as suitable for the front lower control arm inner bushes - this is from an email I got from Richard Fearn of SuperPro:

"SPF2028K & SPF2337K. You are correct both of these kits will replace the inner bushes on the lower control arm. SPF2028K reuses the original shells in the Toyota control arm. Each kit contains 8 ‘Top Hat’ bushes and 4 steel tubes. Each bush ‘assembly’ consists of 2 bushes & 1 tube – so therefore each kit will replace the inner bushes on the front lower control arm on each side of the car.

SPF2337K does the same job as SPF2028K but comes with replacement shells. As the shells are being replaced it is possible to modify the design of the bush into a single ‘Cotton Reel’ style to replace the two top hat bushes used for each assembly in SPF2028K. It is generally felt that a single cotton real bush will work more effectively than two top hat bushes where it is practically feasible to design it that way. However, the two top hats will still give excellent performance."
                      Mark
                      Thanks Mark

Interesting bit of info.I will save that for future reference.Allready got genuine replacement bushes for mine.

Neville

Comment

Working...
                      X