rear window motor advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window motor advice needed

hi folks, just fitted a new rear window regulator to the surf because the window wasnt closing properly.

out of interest, it is cheaper to go to your local dealer to get it than it is from millners, as millners buy them from toyota in the first place.

anyway the problem i have now is that when the window is going up it stutters about every three inches. the only cause of this i can see is that there is a tooth missing in the window motor cog.

so, can you just replace this cog or is it a new motor?
    am i right in saying that it's the same as a passenger side window motor from a corolla?
    is it front or back?
    does the year of the corolla have to be the same as my surf?

thanks for any advice, scotty

Originally posted by scotty
    hi folks, just fitted a new rear window regulator to the surf because the window wasnt closing properly.

out of interest, it is cheaper to go to your local dealer to get it than it is from millners, as millners buy them from toyota in the first place.

anyway the problem i have now is that when the window is going up it stutters about every three inches. the only cause of this i can see is that there is a tooth missing in the window motor cog.

so, can you just replace this cog or is it a new motor?
    am i right in saying that it's the same as a passenger side window motor from a corolla?
    is it front or back?
    does the year of the corolla have to be the same as my surf?

thanks for any advice, scotty
    I've also read somewhere that you can fit a Corolla window motor and also a Diahatsu 4Trak rear window motor is supposed to be the same.
    Check on Ebay - A Toyota Surf rear window motor went a couple of weeks ago for £35. I've seen a couple on there in the last few months.
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

window motor

Originally posted by Silversurfer
      I've also read somewhere that you can fit a Corolla window motor and also a Diahatsu 4Trak rear window motor is supposed to be the same.
      Check on Ebay - A Toyota Surf rear window motor went a couple of weeks ago for £35. I've seen a couple on there in the last few months.
      I had the same problem, took off the motor & found the drive cog with a groove around the centre of the teeth, got another motor, fitted it , job done.The motors are handed, the one in mine was a left hand, the one I fitted was a right hand, they both fit.Could be that their handed because they are also door motors, left door ,right door.The motor is easy to strip to remove the old drive cog & easy to make if you have got a mill handy(or know someone handy).I made one , after checking the motor was ok, checked the brushes were ok & reassembled-£103+vat from Toyota saved.

Comment

cheers guys,
        i thought of getting a new cog made but wasnt sure if you could take the old one off and replace it.

thanks again for your help, scotty

Comment

motor drive cog

cheers guys,
          i thought of getting a new cog made but wasnt sure if you could take the old one off and replace it.

thanks again for your help, scotty
          Scotty, if you wanna remove the cog, pop off the ally cover,remove the circlip, squirt of release all, wd40 etc & knock through.You can build up with weld (t.i.g) carefully, or chemical metal if not to bad & file back to shape.
          If you check the brushes,remove the two screws holding the black metal cover & carefully remove, leaving the drive & windings in place,there should be a good 10mm of brush to contact. If you pull the lot out of the brushes dont force it back you`ll bust the brushes, pull the drive out of the black cover & pull the brushes away & slip the drive back in,the brushes will then pop on, put , on the cover & say that was easyer than that bloke on the forum described it!

Comment

thanks for the advice guys. just one other thing,

am i better removing the motor from the inside of the car when the rear window is in the closed position. The reason i ask is that when i removed the regulator then removed the motor one of the arms on the regulator ( the one that is tensioned with the spring, almost took my finger off when it spung).

Basically if take the motor off with the window up the glass isnt going to fall or anything.

much appreciated scotty

Comment

removing the motor

thanks for the advice guys. just one other thing,

am i better removing the motor from the inside of the car when the rear window is in the closed position. The reason i ask is that when i removed the regulator then removed the motor one of the arms on the regulator ( the one that is tensioned with the spring, almost took my finger off when it spung).

Basically if take the motor off with the window up the glass isnt going to fall or anything.

much appreciated scotty
              lower the window & open the door, using a screwdriver click the door locks on each side of the door round twice.Put something the same height as the lowered door, workmate etc with a cushion on it, & use the key to raise the window, supporting it on the cushion.Then its just a case of removing the three screws holding the motor to remove. You will have to move/disconect some wiring & plugs,& a 7mm spanner will undo the screws. take the opportunityto give everything a good wipe & re-lube, & silicon spray the rubber glass runners.Reasembly is the opposite as they say, just remember to unlock the door before you slam it shut!

Comment

C'mon Scotty - I've already volunteered to weld the cog for u - get yur arse in gear and get it to me an I'll do it.

Stevie

Comment

Job Done

Comment

yip, big thanks stevie (surfssuck).

rear window now going like a train, and the kind man also done my rear fog light mod up into reverse light. no more broken fog lights when off road now.

had to laugh when i saw your username

you love surfs realy

cheers scotty

Comment

Working...
                    X