yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing for dodgy drive shaft's - question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing for dodgy drive shaft's - question???

As a test to see if front drive-shaft, and front diff-flange assembly is cause of vibration when driving around in my 4runner.

would it be safe to temporarily remove the flange/cover on wheel centre (held on by 6 nuts and cone washers), cover/seal the hub-up to stop dirt getting into bearings, then test drive ??
    as this would prevent the drive-shaft on drivers side from turning
    I assume drive shafts wouldn't be able to pop-out inwards and circlip would still be in place anyway.

any ideas?

thanks andrew
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Its fine, been there, done it!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers Tony

great mind think alike eh!?

cheaper option than buying manual locking hubs - just to test it (but may get them sometime anyway)
      and a lot easier than removing drive shafts to test also!
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Yeah, but remember not to go offroading or you'll fill your bearings up with mud!

Comment

Freewheeling

Hi

Sounds like I'm chasing a similar noise.

Would your freewheeling cheat also work on a Gen 3 surf? Had considered removing the suspect drive shaft but this seems a lot easier. The cars booked in to have the bearing replaced on Tuesday but there is still uncertainty over whats causing the rumble.

Would you need to unlock both wheels for the test, i.e. would one drive shaft still spin if the other was still turning?

Had all four wheels turning at 35mph on a chassis lift, and the transmission was silent. Maybe the sagging drive shafts made a difference but I'm hoping the absence of my howling rumble was due to the wheel bearings spinning without load.

Mike

Comment

If you have drive plates the same as 2nd gens then yes, you can do one side at a time, this will isolate the noise to one side or the other.

Originally posted by Steadi
            Hi

Sounds like I'm chasing a similar noise.

Would your freewheeling cheat also work on a Gen 3 surf? Had considered removing the suspect drive shaft but this seems a lot easier. The cars booked in to have the bearing replaced on Tuesday but there is still uncertainty over whats causing the rumble.

Would you need to unlock both wheels for the test, i.e. would one drive shaft still spin if the other was still turning?

Had all four wheels turning at 35mph on a chassis lift, and the transmission was silent. Maybe the sagging drive shafts made a difference but I'm hoping the absence of my howling rumble was due to the wheel bearings spinning without load.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X