Is my head going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my head going?

Had the surf for 4 months. As soon as i got it i flushed the rad with speedflush and a hose pipe. And then flushed again for good measure. I changed the thermostat to a new one from milner and refilled with a 60/40 mix of halford long life antifreeze and distilled water. Changed the air fuel and all filter + oil at same time.

All throuth the summer the car has been fine with no sign of problems. The car does about 80 miles per day and goes up some steep hills on the way to work.

Today i was jet washing the car with the engine running and noticed water dripping from the coolant expansion bottle, Switched the engine off and checked the oil for water and there was none. Waited for the temp to cool a little. Checked the water, topped up slightly and drove home. Left the engine running at home and noticed the heaters no longer worked and suspected new air block. Had to refill the system with distilled water.

The problem i have now is tryst. What caused the original overheat? Will it be cured? Is it a sign of the head gasket or head going? Do i sell it and get a 3.0diesel. Opps that reminds me the car is a 2.4TD ssrx 1993.

If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful, and sorry to bore you all with yet another heating/head related issue.

Thanks in anticipation of your help

best regards
    Mat

Mat this is proberbly a daft question but did you have the rear heater turned up full and hot when you did the original flush? also hows your rad cap?
    start looking for the simple answers first then it can only get worse.

sumo.
    If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Hi Sumo,

I forgot to say i changed the rad cap too, Both heaters were on hot when flushed and got hot again after the flush so i am fairly sure i didn't have an air lock. But saying that it does seem to point to an airlock.

When i ckecked the oil it was half way between min & max and so i topped it up to nearly max. Have just rechecked levels on water and had to put another 1/2 litre now the engine is cold.

I can see my self having a very slow and cautious drive to work in the morning.

could there have been a blockage in the system for the past 6000 miles that has just surfaced?

Thanks for the reply..

regards

Mat

Comment

Have now tested thermostat and rad cap. Both are fine. After ready replies on other threads i left the thermostat out, filled the engine when cold an ran for 2 minutes. Switched off the engine and had loads of pressure build up in the system, When the system had cooled again i removed the rad cap to find alot of white foam which ouzed out of system?.

How can i tell if it's the head cracked or the head gasket?

If i replace the head whats to stop it happening again?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

All the best, frustrated surf owner.

Comment

It costs £15.00 for a head test and can be done in a couple of hours
          Get it tested mate and then you,ll know one way or the other.
          Good luck Ive been there i know what youre going through
          WD40 "He who Thinks Australian"

Comment

head

lf you replace the "HEAD" with a new one it will not go again the old head has a design fault in it which the new one does not have.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
              lf you replace the "HEAD" with a new one it will not go again the old head has a design fault in it which the new one does not have.

sounds like the head to me, same symptons to me when mine went. 98% its the head very rare for it just to be the gasket.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Thank you all for your help & advice, I have just found out i have 3 days left on the warranty when i got the surf. Called the garage this morning and they are coming tomorrow night to tow it to their garage to have a look at it.

So if it is the head the warranty will cover it, Phew, less sleepness nights.

Comment

You lucky lucky lucky lucky git!!!! that is if your warranty does cover it, I hope it does mate.....
                  How much!

Comment

As for being lucky, we will have to wait and see. When the guy finds out the price of the head, bolts & gasket it could be a different story. But i will soon find out, they should be collecting it tonight at 6.30 and investigate from there.

Everything i have is crossed.........

Comment

Hi all, Is it possible to see if a new type head has been fitted by just lifting the bonnet, or are both heads identicle from the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
                        Hi all, Is it possible to see if a new type head has been fitted by just lifting the bonnet, or are both heads identicle from the outside.
                        You will maybe find that the number on the front of the head is different from the engine number (mine says 22222222). That would at least show that a new head has been fitted. The type is not possible to tell as the modifications are all internal.

Cheers

Comment

good luck mate
                          Dave

Comment

Hi all, quick update.

Car was collected wednesday night and trailered away. Garage did not touch the car Thursday, and today all they seem bothered about is that they can't see any water coming out the exhaust.

Thay are going to pressure test the head on monday but i dont feel too confident, but i may be wrong. After all they have collected it and said they will fix any problems under warranty. Problem is i am without the surf and using the wifes car to get to work. She has to walk and i'm getting grief.

Comment

Seems strange they are dragging their feet!
                              can you trust the dealer? The warranty would be up (3 days) today and although they said they will do any work found under the warranty, would they admit there is a problem?
                              Sorry to sound negative but I can't get myself to trust any garage (unless i knew them well).
                              Just be sure that if they give you the Surf back claiming there is nothing wrong that they haven't just poured something in there to last a while. once you have accepted it back there would be no warranty to fall back on.

Obviously if you do trust them then there is nothing at all to be concerned about. It's just me being paranoid.
                              Ian
                              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Working...
                              X