No announcement yet.

Blooody fuel fiter is ruining my life !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blooody fuel fiter is ruining my life !

In case my old thread about seperating a fuel filter from the priming pump never comes back I am starting a new one. Today I bought a vice and disconnected the fuel filter along with it intended companion for life the pump. I almost broke my elbow but the filter will not budge. I thinks now it is there for life and I need to buy a replacement pump. Anybody know what the part the fuel filter screws into is called officialy as a part. Milners off road sell an "injection pump seal kit". Would that be it. There is no photo. I am afraid to puncture the filter with a screwdriver as a last resort because if the filer still refuses to be uncoupled then I will be donald duck'd with a punctured fuel filter. This is becoming a saga now. I refuse to bring it to a garage at this stage. It has cost me £15 for a vice £10 for a filter wrench and the lord only knows how much in spilled diesel.

Stephen
    Stephen

1992 SSR-X Grey 2.4 TD Automatic

Not one usually to be a complete smart arse, but I am sure that you know which way to unthread the $%#@! thing.

Panic not my friend, I had a similar problem and it is usually caused by the previous numbnuts fitting the filter without lube on the seal.

Last resort: Put a screwdriver through the can an wind it off.
    You can use the vise for all the other work that you will end up doing on the wagon anyway, so look at it as an investment!!!!
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

do the jubilee clip thing and tap the threaded sticky out bit around with a small hammer, it does work
      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I will try the jubilee clip thing next weekend but I still would like to purchase a new pump at this stage. Anybody know where I can get one from. And yes it did occur to me that I was trying to unscrew it incorrectly and I got really paranoid but alas thats not the issue.

Stephen
        Stephen

Comment

Mine was as tight as a ducks a*se too!
          I didn't think of the jubilee clip thing, but as a last resort put a screwdriver at 90deg to the top collar and dented it. Adjusted screwdriver to 45deg and tapped it round a quarter turn with a hammer. It unscrewed easily after that. The dents are now there for next time it is stuck well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

If you follow the link I have put the engine manual pages on the fuel filter online - for what they are worth.

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surfpictures/Techy.htm
            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by stara
              do the jubilee clip thing and tap the threaded sticky out bit around with a small hammer, it does work
              SMALL HAMMER????
              What the hell are you playing at??
              BASH IT!!!
              THAT is engineering, I was an engineer for an unnamed airline for 10 years and day to day it was only the size of hammer that changed
              Simon.O.
              '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

I'm gonna try the hammer. First I have bought a large jubilee clip so that will be first. Second I will try denting it and using a hammer . I have had the filter and bracket in a vice as stated in the tech article but all it did was nearly break my arm because the fuel filter seems to be welded to the bracket. I will post an update after the weekend.

Stephen
                Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by simono
                  SMALL HAMMER????
                  What the hell are you playing at??
                  BASH IT!!!
                  THAT is engineering, I was an engineer for an unnamed airline for 10 years and day to day it was only the size of hammer that changed
                  aaaaaaalrighty then, air travel is the safest form travel?, i'll take your word for it.
                  [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I was in the RAF. Airframe riggers had three tools in their kit. Oil can. Hammer. Condom......................Oi l it.....Whack it.......F*ckit!
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

if it dont fit you aint hitting it with a big enough hammer
                      so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

somebody tell him not to buy a new receiver, it cant be that hard to punch a big hole in the side of the filter (twds the bottom of it would be best coz theres nothing inside the bottom half of the filter), then put another big hole in the far side, then lift up your back seat and get the spare wheel wind-up handle and stick it down thru the holes and you will have the best lever going - it WILL turn, failing that a 21' scaffold tube should do it

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                          somebody tell him not to buy a new receiver, it cant be that hard to punch a big hole in the side of the filter (twds the bottom of it would be best coz theres nothing inside the bottom half of the filter), then put another big hole in the far side, then lift up your back seat and get the spare wheel wind-up handle and stick it down thru the holes and you will have the best lever going - it WILL turn, failing that a 21' scaffold tube should do it
                          That sounds like a good idea but it could fail. Hilux bob has one. The one in my car looks a bit corroded and I'm worried if i puncture the filter and it still doesn't move then waht is my Plan B. Not being able to drive my beautiful Surf is not an option so I'm playing it safe.

Stephen
                          Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by skennedy2701
                            I'm worried if i puncture the filter and it still doesn't move then waht is my Plan B so I'm playing it safe.
                            Stephen
                            Theres the crux: you're worried

Stop worrying, its a certainty that if you apply the right pressure, it will turn. You remind me of myself and your man Hamlet, his problem was he couldnt make his mind up. This is a filter change not a land speed record attempt!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                              Theres the crux: you're worried

Stop worrying, its a certainty that if you apply the right pressure, it will turn. You remind me of myself and your man Hamlet, his problem was he couldnt make his mind up. This is a filter change not a land speed record attempt!

in vice 36" stilsons and turn it, go on give it some welly you know you want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X