Rear Washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Washers

Right, I've gone right through the Tech Electrical section and can't find this problem... my rear washer has just decided to cease to work. I've checked the motor and it works fine when run off the battery.

The front & rear wipers and the front washers work fine, so it's not the fuse. I presume it must be the wiper stalk switch at fault. Anybody else had this problem? If so, was there an easy cure? If not, I'll probably put a switch on the centre console and run a wire direct to the washer motor and by-pass the stalk.
    Mike G

Originally posted by Tallyman
    Right, I've gone right through the Tech Electrical section and can't find this problem... my rear washer has just decided to cease to work. I've checked the motor and it works fine when run off the battery.

The front & rear wipers and the front washers work fine, so it's not the fuse. I presume it must be the wiper stalk switch at fault. Anybody else had this problem? If so, was there an easy cure? If not, I'll probably put a switch on the centre console and run a wire direct to the washer motor and by-pass the stalk.
    wiper also won't work if rear window is down, so it could be the sensor still thinking the window is down rather than the stalk switch. Making it work from a clean 12v supply is by passing this sensor.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

my rear washer has just decided to cease to work. I've checked the motor and it works fine when run off the battery.

If your motor is running try putting a pin in the jet as it maybe blocked.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

At the washer motor you should have a blue/black and a blue/orange wire. With everything in a state where the washer should work (i.e. ignition on, window closed) and the motor connected, jump a wire from the blue/orange wire to ground. If the pump runs, it's a problem with the washer switch, if it doesn't run it's a problem with the rear window relay pack.I'va attached a portion of circuit diagram that should help.
        Attached Files
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. It definitely isn't a blocked rear jet as I've disconnected the pipe connection just before the jet to make sure. I'll try jumping the wire to ground as I think it might be the switch but will research the relay pack if it doesn't make it work. However, the rear wiper still works OK, so it could be either. Will have a go at this on the weekend as no chance until then.
          Mike G

Comment

I'm watching this thread with interest. Mine decided not to work on the way to work tonight. They say problems come in threes!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Sorted

All sorted this weekend. After checking all the wiring, I eventually found that something gungy had managed to get all the way through to the rear jet from the reservoir and blocked both holes, stopping pump from working. Took out the jet, poked and prodded it with wire, pin etc and finally used a high pressure bicycle pump on it. That cleared it eventually when something shot out of the jets at high speed and all now works OK from the control stalk.

Also managed to sort out some broken bulbs in the instrument pod. Boy, what a job that was, getting all the trim off. Put all back together and can now see the whole of the speedo, as before the right side was in darkness. Checked it last night in the dark, only to find a bulb's now gone in the heater control panel. Oh well, a job for another weekend!!
              Mike G

Comment

Old thread I know, but how do you get the rear washer jet out? Can you pop it out from the outside? Or do you have to remove the trim inside to pop it out, and if so, how does the trim come out? Will it prise out or are there screws hidden by the side panels?

Comment

To answer my own question, the inner trim is just held on with 8 or 10 poppers. Mind you don't crack it or skin your thumb when doing it in the cold weather. The washer jet doesn't appear to be easily accessible from inside either but I found that it's not a blocked jet causing it not to work, there's a

Comment

Working...
                  X