New LED headlights fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New LED headlights fitted

So I recently got a new job which now means I am a commuter again, and because it's winter my commute home is in the dark. I've always found the headlights in the Surf to be pitiful (who doesn't?), but I couldn't put up with it any longer (11 years a Surf owner ). I came across these LED H4 bulbs while searching for something completely unrelated, and figured I'd give them a go.

http://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-War...k-1015078.html

(I've ordered loads from BangGood with no issues. Can be slow if you order from the China warehouse though, but EU is pretty good)

Ordered them on the 4th, they arrived on the 9th, and due to the weather I only managed to get round to fitting them today.

Usual palaver with changing the bulbs on a Surf, remove the batteries, then the washer bottle on the left, and the expansion tank and air guide on the right to get to the back of the lights. The new bulbs are a bit longer because of the heat sink on the back, but there is plenty of room to fit them. One downside however is that the rubber gasket doesn't fit, so if you off-road a lot in deep water then these bulbs won't be for you. New bulbs in, everything back together. Total job time about 30 minutes.

What. A. Difference. The pictures don't really do them justice. The new LEDs are obviously pure white rather than yellow, and they're nice and bright. This should improve my drive home no end.

One bulb changed for comparison:

Both bulbs done, rain setting in:

For £33 delivered, I'm very happy.

Going to have to do something about the sidelights now, they look pitiful next to the mains.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Think i,ll be getting me some of those. I take it youve driven around in the dark with them
    Сви можемо

Comment

Sure have. Only a short around town trip, but enough to show the light is brighter and clearer than the originals. Won't get to do a proper test until Monday night.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

They certainly look brighter, mine are the old yellow type, might just get some of those, thanks for the link, just got a fish tank digital thermometer from Banggood, works great, as I don't do offroad the rubber issue is not a problem,
        cheers
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2514421167...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

these have made a massive difference to the side lights.

headlights are next. I like the ones you have put in.

Comment

Two questions ..... Are they CE marked and will they allowed for the MOT?
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
              Two questions ..... Are they CE marked and will they allowed for the MOT?
              Who checks bulbs on an MOT ?
              Сви можемо

Comment

I guess as long as the beam pattern is good, then it shouldn't draw too much attention from the MOT man.

I am going down the projector route. Someone else is doing them for me, as it would take me about 11 years to stitch together enough spare time to do it properly. Hopefully get them done before the year is out and will let you know the results.
                Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post

you would be amazed how jobsworth some of them are. I had a headlight out on a car recently so it failed, obviously. Put a new one in there and he gave me an advisory for one being a bit brighter than the other. Wont be going there again.

Comment

I drive past a highways agency check Point every day so I care. Just because you lot up north can flaunt the rules some of us have to live with in them.

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                      I drive past a highways agency check Point every day so I care. Just because you lot up north can flaunt the rules some of us have to live with in them.
                      I understand all that, but it doesn't answer the question, I've never known an Mot tester to check individual bulbs. I suppose he might be tempted if they were clearly " different" is that your thinking?
                      Сви можемо

Comment

I understand all that, but it doesn't answer the question, I've never known an Mot tester to check individual bulbs. I suppose he might be tempted if they were clearly " different" is that your thinking?
                        No the mot looks at the headlights I can not remember the exact wording but it was introduced to stop the Hid conversion market and the quality of the conversions and the kits used

Comment

My old truck failed an MoT once due to Led sidelights. Some testers do check.
                          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

You just need to find a test station that appreciates the realities of the situation. It seems like most of them feel the need to give you some kind of list just to be sure you feel you got your moneys worth. MOT is the most ridiculous system in my view. Its totally subjective to the tester, not the car.
                            two testers, two garages, same day....... totally different lists, totally different outcome. Then the things they miss. Like a leaking fuel line on a transit van I owned. Test and retest (two different testers, same place) and they both missed the diesel dripping out of it.

No rhyme or reason, just how and what they feel on the day according to their own interpetation of the manual. The sooner we come up with some decent discriminatory software and a robot to do the job the better. Every vehicle tested to exactly the same standard, finally. I mean i have had advisories given that didnt come up in the next three years test going elsewhere.. Eh? Whats that about?

Comment

Working...
                            X