Speedo comes and goes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo comes and goes!

Hi. My speedo is regularly dead when starting a journey, but picks up suddenly after a few miles. We need a help on exactly where the trouble might be and how to fix it. Any suggestions (legal and decent only) would be helpful.

speedo

Hi, I have the same intermittent fault, mine will also read fast and move wildly at times. Cant find any cause, think a new speedo head is the only answer.

Comment

Could be burnt or corroded copper tracks on the circuit board that the speedo is mounted on, common problem with older trucks.
      Would be handy to know which model Surf you have for more detailed answers in future.
      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 2 March 2014, 19:00.

Comment

speedo

Hi,
        its a 94 kzn130, it all looks fine on the back, no corrosion or visible cracks on the tracking. My son had a similar problem on a customers 2.4 at his garage and its was the speedo head in the end, fitted a new 1 and all was ok.

Comment

Speedo comes and goes

Hi thanks for the advice. Where's the recommended place in the UK to get a new one? I assume a used one could import the same problem.

Comment

speedo

Hi, you should be able to get a speedo head from your Toyota dealer

Comment

There's another recent post on this -where I have listed the potential faults caused by a dodgy speed sensor -
              O/D light flashes
              Poor gear selection timing or holding on to gears
              Intermittent speedo or speedo failure
              Difficulty engaging or holding top gear.

There are two types of sensor, both located on the back side of the transfer box. Simple affair to change them but get the correct part number from the dealer first for your vehicle. eBay have them listed for about £40. A huge saving compared to a genuine item!

Comment

Working...
              X