"CDS" fan to manually switchable fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "CDS" fan to manually switchable fan?

As you know there is an electric fan infront of the radiator behind the grille. Based on my research I found out that its used for the A/C condensor. But since my A/C condensor or A/C compressor or A/C on-off switch dont work, its just sitting there. So I wanted to make use of it and mod it as a secondary helper fan to the main fan. I did wire it directly and it works fine, but its pointless. I want it to be on when the engine is running and I want the line to have some kinda protection (a fuse or something). And also, ajacent to the main fuse box there is another housing which holds two relays (CDS Fan No 1 and CDS Fan No 2) and a 30AMP CDS fuse. I wanted to make use of those since they are there, if possible.

can anyone guide me through the process or direct me to a good link.

p.s. my electrical skills are not enough so a detailed one will be hugely appeciated.
    '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

It should come automatically anyway when the coolant temp gets towards the high end of the gauge. It's a back-up cooling fan for the radiator as well as the A/C condenser.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      It should come automatically anyway when the coolant temp gets towards the high end of the gauge. It's a back-up cooling fan for the radiator as well as the A/C condenser.
      Thats my Surf's problem. It wont come on automatically. Never. Checked it many times.

by the way, does this dual function explain the two relays?
      Last edited by tamrat; 27 September 2013, 19:48.

Comment

With the 2.4s if AC is not working it will not come on. May be the same for the 3Ltr. My AC is disconnected and this fan never switches on. Not sure how it's all connected to the AC.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
          With the 2.4s if AC is not working it will not come on. May be the same for the 3Ltr. My AC is disconnected and this fan never switches on. Not sure how it's all connected to the AC.

Nev.
          Mine is operated via the thermo switch on the thermostat housing, but mins is a 2.4.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post

Nev.
            But it must have a separate line which isn't controlled by the AC (rather by a thermo switch), so that it can turn on when the engine reaches a certain temp, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tamrat View Post
              But it must have a separate line which isn't controlled by the AC (rather by a thermo switch), so that it can turn on when the engine reaches a certain temp, right?
              It is controlled by the thermo switch, but will not work without the air con electrics. Not on mine anyway. Usually disconnecting thermo switch will turn on the fan but that does not happen to mine because the air con is not connected.

Nev.

Comment

i guess i can't use the existing lines and relays then. i am just gonna wire a simple line with a on/off switch and an inline fuse (the existing 30 amp one).

cheers,

Comment

Just wired everything. It all works great. I didn't install the fuse because I forgot to (how stupid) and I didn't want to open up the dash or the grille again (how lazy).

Something I needed and couldn't figure out is, I wanted the fan to be operable only if the engine is running or the ignition key is on "ON" (just like the power windows). How do I achieve this? I am guessing I need to run the positive wire through the ignition fuse, but like I said my electrical skills are not that good.

Comment

Working...
                  X