yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd intermittent not starting and cutting out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd intermittent not starting and cutting out...

Hi guys, I've got two problems that I think are related due to their starting about the same time, but as they're random and intermittent I could well have two separate problems...

1: Every now and then I turn the key, get the dash lights on, wait for heater light to go out then turn the starter and all I get is a click and it doesn't turn over, if I try again it starts sometimes second go other times it has taken at least half a dozen turns before it turns over. Some times it can turn a little slow for a second then it picks up and fires, other times it fires straight away.

This can happen when warm and cold.

2: It has cut out while driving, it doesn't cough or splutter, the engine just stops dead as if you have turned the ignition off, but the lights on the dash come on.

If I stop and select park it fires up. Although one time I had to turn the key a couple of times as above until the starter turned.

I have looked under the bonnet and there doesn't appear to be any loose or broken wires or connections. I've not had chance to do any more as I pick my boys up from schools, they're too young to leave while I go messing about with the car, by the time their mum gets home it's too dark to see anything. I'll try and get a look this weekend but I'm busy Sat am and Sunday pm so any help and or ideas to get me started would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

The first is easy, probably the starter contacts need replacing.

The second could be a dodgy wire in the ignition switch, or on the fuel pump plugs, or look for loose plugs at the ECU and other places around the engine bay, and check the earth straps on the engine too.

Go around giving the wiring a wriggle with it running, and see if you can make it stop.

A lot of the stuff won't actually turn it off, but things like the Spill control valve, engine speed sensor, the vacuum solenoids on the intake and the earth straps will.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      The first is easy, probably the starter contacts need replacing.

The second could be a dodgy wire in the ignition switch, or on the fuel pump plugs, or look for loose plugs at the ECU and other places around the engine bay, and check the earth straps on the engine too.

Go around giving the wiring a wriggle with it running, and see if you can make it stop.

A lot of the stuff won't actually turn it off, but things like the Spill control valve, engine speed sensor, and the vacuum solenoids on the intake will.
      Thanks Tony. Makes it simpler if they're not related.

Is replacing the starter contacts a diy job?

Dodgy wire in the ignition switch, on the back of the key yeah?

What and where is the spill control valve and where is the engine speed sensor.

Thanks again.

Comment

I had a very similar problem that turned out to be the battery negative cable having corroded at a joint. I split the joint, cleaned it up and sealed it and it was as good as new.

I had funny things happening like if you pressed a window down button, shoogled the gear leaver and pressed the brake pedal at the same time all the lights went out....

edit: the joint was the first one off the battery terminal on to the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by cabbage View Post
          I had a very similar problem that turned out to be the battery negative cable having corroded at a joint. I split the joint, cleaned it up and sealed it and it was as good as new.

I had funny things happening like if you pressed a window down button, shoogled the gear leaver and pressed the brake pedal at the same time all the lights went out....

Thanks, I'll check that.

Going to pull the starter when I get five minutes, check the brushes.

It hasn't cut out for a while, although writing this had probably put a curse on it, I'm wondering if maybe I got some water in somewhere, I did spend a lot of time in the floods.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
            maybe I got some water in somewhere, I did spend a lot of time in the floods.
            Probably what the guys said already, however it did sound similar to this http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46726 maybe filters & how’s about the relays/wiring for the spill?

Just some ideas as it sounds similar?

Rob
            Last edited by wiggy; 28 November 2012, 15:10.
            The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by cabbage View Post

Shoogled!

Comment

Working...
              X