Charging batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging batteries

I have a automatic ctek charger that I use because I only do 1 mile to work and in the winter with the lights on and blower on my alternator won't keep up so after a week my batteries will start cranking over slower. But what I want to know is when I connect it to one battery will it charge up the other at the same time or are they separate from each other? If they are separate could I join them together with a link wire?

Originally posted by terratology View Post
    I have a automatic ctek charger that I use because I only do 1 mile to work and in the winter with the lights on and blower on my alternator won't keep up so after a week my batteries will start cranking over slower. But what I want to know is when I connect it to one battery will it charge up the other at the same time or are they separate from each other? If they are separate could I join them together with a link wire?
    You state you only do one mile commute ,how long is the engine running for during this trip?

Have you checked the alternator output ?

Have you seen what voltage the batteries are at with the engine off?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

They are connected together, as far as the truck is concerned its just one big battery.

Just charge either one.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Would one of these help ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Visua-Powere...ef=pd_sim_ce_1

If it was used during the day when the OP parks up at work .
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          Would one of these help ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Visua-Powere...ef=pd_sim_ce_1

If it was used during the day when the OP parks up at work .
          No they are a waste of time and money bought an expensive one for motorhome,no good tested it running small dash fan at heat of day in southern france just managed to run it but as sun went over it got slower. No doubt some one will say the greatest thing since sliced bread,each to his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Pandy View Post
            No they are a waste of time and money bought an expensive one for motorhome,no good tested it running small dash fan at heat of day in southern france just managed to run it but as sun went over it got slower. No doubt some one will say the greatest thing since sliced bread,each to his own.
            Just thought that having the solar charger plugged in all day it would recharge enough to help with the gradual loss over the week.

My truck generally sits on the drive all week and is normally used at the weekends,so it is at the other end of the battery drain scenario (long periods of no use)as opposed to very short commutes.

Perhaps another part of the solution might be to reduce the electrical load on the vehicle?
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

It's fine just charge a battery, I have a smaller one we leave in the window of our 7.5T horse lorry and batteries have much more life in them even after months of no-use.

You can either clip it on your battery or re-wire the lighter socket to be live all the time and charge it through that.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine had a problem a while back but it was still on the batteries from Japan.....

Got some Exides a while back and it is back to flick of the switch and she starts fine (fingers crossed)

Plus I have a fully charged Red Top I keep tucked away just in case.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Cheers for all the replies, But tonyn gave me the answer I was looking for! I've seen those solar ones before but theres nothing to regulate the supply so when your battery is fully charged with one of those on it you are slowly but surely frying your battery and shortening the life of it. Your far better off using one of the many smart chargers on the market as they won't overcharge your battery and you don't have to disconnect the battery every time you use it.

Comment

Let's be honest if you only have a mile to commute get a push bike.
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Walk???

Comment

Yeah, lazy fecker!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                        X