Starter or batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter or batteries?

Can any of you kind souls please check something on your Surf for me please?

I got in my Surf this morning to go to work, turn the ignition, just got the dreaded 'click'. In my experience, this sort of thing is usually caused by either a sticking starter, or there isn't enough juice in the batteries to turn it.

At this point I noticed that the battery indicator was only about half way up the dial, ie appx 9v. After a few more clicks it fired no problem. When driving and after I'd got to work, the indicator is 3/4 the way up the dial, appx 13v.

This leads me to believe a battery problem, but what confuses me is that if there isn't enough juice on the first attempt to turn it over, why would there be on the fifth attempt?

If anyone can check their dial before firing it up after you've had it parked for a while I'd appreciate knowing how your dials read.

Thanks.
    Everything's easy, when you know how!

Certainly sounds like a battery problem. Could be something like a broken terminal or plate which works properly when the battery has warmed up (after current drawn). Best bet is to get to a battery place and ask them to do a deep discharge test. This will test the battery under "starting" conditions and is the only meaningful test.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by phorbiuz
      Can any of you kind souls please check something on your Surf for me please?

I got in my Surf this morning to go to work, turn the ignition, just got the dreaded 'click'. In my experience, this sort of thing is usually caused by either a sticking starter, or there isn't enough juice in the batteries to turn it.

At this point I noticed that the battery indicator was only about half way up the dial, ie appx 9v. After a few more clicks it fired no problem. When driving and after I'd got to work, the indicator is 3/4 the way up the dial, appx 13v.

This leads me to believe a battery problem, but what confuses me is that if there isn't enough juice on the first attempt to turn it over, why would there be on the fifth attempt?

If anyone can check their dial before firing it up after you've had it parked for a while I'd appreciate knowing how your dials read.

Thanks.
      I had a simmilar problem, but on another car. It was a random thing that just happened every now and again. My battery was fine, so I just lived with it, but It was a starter problem. Agree with your thinking on the battery,ie If not first time then why fifth? but as Roger says, get battery tested. if you've got dual batteries, make sure they disconect one then test the other.
      Pete

Comment

With just the ignition on my charging needle sits at half way but a test with the test meter shows batteries at full volts. Start motor and needle goes up to 3/4 on gauge and test meter shows a good charge as well.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Cheers for the input guys.

I've had the batteries checked, although they were both still connected. Both had a strong voltage and the charging system was spot on. With Koi's (ever the knowledgable) input plus the battery test I think it could be down to the starter.

We've had a few heavy rainy days lately, and while mere mortals have been stuck in their boring cars on flooded roads I've been setting the pace. Maybe one or two of those tsunamis I've created have damaged the starter.

Thanks again, especially Nigel for confirming the readings. I'm off to Streetluge Chris for a starter!
          Everything's easy, when you know how!

Comment

this has been covered before somewhere but cant find it.

if i recall it is the solenoid on the starter moter and you can get a repair kit for it.

found it!! http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=6399
            Last edited by Greebo; 21 August 2004, 18:10.
            mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
            X