CB Ariel mounting ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Ariel mounting ideas

I have just installed a CB into the dash of my 3rd Gen Surf, but i'm struggling to locate a good place for the ariel.

I dont like things to look 'Aftermarket' if that makes any sense, so i'd like it to look as factory as poss...

I dont want to drill the roof, so thats a no no, i dont like the U-bolt brackets cos they look pants, but i wouldn't mind mounting it to the swing away wheel carrier somehow, but i'm a bit worried about welding to it LOL! plus the top part of it runs up at an angle, so the weld on rollcage mount I bought from 4x4cb.com wont really fit unfortunately.

By the way, 4x4cb is a brilliant place to get CB stuff, and Jim there is a really helpful guy.

Does anyone have any pics of their CB ariels mounted to a 3rd gen?

Thankyou in advance!

Cheers,

CURLY

I've been looking at doing the same thing, I think I'll go with mounting it on the spare wheel carrier with something like this: http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=1617

I wanted something that I could remove easily should I not want the antenna on display all the time in fear of someone taking it.

Comment

I've done this, it'll work on a 3rd Gen too.

Wire goes through a bolt hole in hinge.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        I've done this, it'll work on a 3rd Gen too.

Wire goes through a bolt hole in hinge.
        That looks cool, but the top bar of my swing away carrier slopes upwards, so the ariel will be diagonal!

i'm now swaying towards a bit of bent flat bolted to the wheel carrier running up behind the wheel and turning above the spare tyre like a little table with the dome mount on that. it will be quite long though..

Do you reckon it will flex about?

Cheers

CURLY

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
          That looks cool, but the top bar of my swing away carrier slopes upwards, so the ariel will be diagonal!

CURLY
          Why can't you just angle the plate that carries the aerial?

Comment

Cos it bolts around the bar, so whatever angle the bar is at, the mount will have to follow.

Shame they dont do a clamp round bracket, with a swivel/adjustable plate. that would work.

hasn't anyone with a 3rd gen mounted an ariel to it somewhere???

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Cos it bolts around the bar, so whatever angle the bar is at, the mount will have to follow.

CURLY
              Well I appreciate that is how it comes, but surely it is possible to adapt, make or buy a clamp where that the top plate can be angled? Or you could just fit a wedge and redrill it?

Comment

I got stuff from 4x4cb....met the guy when I picked up my bits..he is just on the bypass out of dorking..very helpful and cheapest around I think.
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
                  I got stuff from 4x4cb....met the guy when I picked up my bits..he is just on the bypass out of dorking..very helpful and cheapest around I think.
                  Yeah that's where I got my CB stuff from. Jim's his name, and he is a really helpful guy. Only thing is, no one sells what I'm looking for. Reckon I'll have to make something myself, and I'd like some ideas. How is yours fitted?

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Mag mount..so only plugged in and on the car when needed. May go for a permanent set up when we go away next year. Prob like tony's or on the corner of the front bumper.
                    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Have you considered a mag mount?
                      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                        Have you considered a mag mount?
                        As I said it's what I use...if not get tony's one and use this...

http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=920
                        .... Which was nice.

Comment

I have yes, but I'd rather have a permanent mount.

God I'm fussy..!

Comment

I have yes, but I'd rather have a permanent mount.

God I'm fussy..!
                            Nah mate not fussy... Just a 3rd gen owner
                            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lol! I do get mine dirty though, it's not one of the shiny brigade!!

Comment

Working...
                              X