rear window ongoing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window ongoing problem

hi all, further to my post about 5 postings before this, rear window wont go up or down // this is what i have done to this time, removed the carpeted cover from the rear, and the plastic dust cover sprayel all around the runners cogs etc with wd40, however we can hear the motor going when the rocker switch is set either for up or down, but the glass will not go up or down
    it has to be helped on its way by hand, my daughters partner who is a car mechanic is of the believe that that the problem is probably the motor, its tired and worn, it will run but does not have the umph to push the glass up or down, any thoughts, also i seem to have read somewhere on the forums that a replacement motor can be got out of another toyota, any ideas please, for the time being loading and unloading will have to be done via the rear passenger goors not ideal but hey it is 18 yrs old,

It'll be the motor.
    There's a rubber coupling between the drive gear and the output shaft that shears off, manily due to age, but can also shear off if the glass gets stuck from obstruction or becomes increasingly difficult to slide in it's rubber channels.

Comment

replacing the rear window motor

further to my last, i believe as bushwacker said its the motor, is it a relatively easy job to replace and whats the best way of going about it thanks to all Dave

Comment

there is a mod you can do to the old motor, its on here somewhere. or you can normally get motors off ebay for around forty odd quid,but check the feedback because i think someone on here was ripped off.

also,you can swap with the rear door motor on passenger side but i think this is a pain to remove.

but to buy new and swap over is relatively easy
        good luck

Comment

You can use the window motors from most of the 90's toyota's but use the passenger side door motors.
          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have used the door motor from a 1998 Lexus LS400 I was breaking in my rear window.

All of the mountings & the drive gears are the very same but there is an extra piece of metal that continues on out of the drive gear towards the window mechanism. This extra wee bit runs in a plastic bushing in the Lexus mechanism, presumably for added support.

There are two options I suppose, you could cut off the extra bit.

Or you could do like I did & drill the Surf mechanism just behind where the motor mounts & retain the plastic bushing for whatever good it may do.

The job took no more than five minutes extra & used a part that would have gone to waste.

Comment

Working...
            X