Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear speakers not working

Hi all
    Neither my rear speakers or antenna are working.
    2nd gen 3ltr with a stock head unit.
    All the fuses check out and the plugs are still factory.
    my searching has turned up 3 likely causes: damaged loom, antenna relay, broken head unit.
    Is there anything else it could be and is there a way to bypass the antenna relay to get the amps to work?(I dont listen to the radio anyway)

Thanks

Ollie
    If in doubt, get a bigger hammer.

Hi mate

don't know if this is of any benefit, but I've got a Sony head unit in mine and unless the TA (Traffic Announcements) is on, I don't get anything from the rear speakers either.

I've read on here that the rear speakers are amped and as such there will need to be power (from the head unit?) to make them work.

Is the wiring on the head unit all kosher?
    And some that smile have in their hearts, I fear, millions of mischiefs

Comment

Wiring and head unit are the factory ones and appear in good nick. All the problems Ive read about so far involve aftermarket units and hooking up the remote wires correctly. I suspect the problem may be the antenna relay and was wondering if there is any way to test this?

Ollie

Comment

I agree

I had the same problem with my Surf (stereo fitted by an imbecile with a cigarette lighter and some insulation tape) The electric aerial will not work unless both the electric aerial feed and the rear amp feed are connected, which would explain why your rear speakers and electric aerial are not working! apparantly the electric aerial is powered by the rear amp???? If you check out the electrical diagrams on the forum all will become clear! I hope this helps?

hiluxshep

Comment

I'd start by checking the amp/aerial connection is getting 12v from the head unit. Then I'd check the relays. It's just a case of working your way from the headunit to each connection until you find a dead one... The fact that both the aerial and the amps are not working suggests a lack of 12v at the back of the head unit.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas
            Just got the voltmeter on it, its the head unit signal that is dead. I jumped from the grey(ign+12v) to the remote for the amp and turned it on and the rear speakers fired up straight away, problem solved for the moment. New problem convincing the wife I need a new headunit

Thanks

Ollie

Comment

Check the BLUE wire is connected to the live feed, if the relay is working you should hear it click near your right foot while sitting in the drivers seat.

The re-FM expanded radio that came with my'n didn't have this connected, and neither amp or arial worked, put a new head unit in, and there was a blue wire on the ISO adaptor marked arial, I connected it to the blue wire in the original loom and pop it all worked right away.

peace
              cal
              Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Hi Cal
                Im not sure which wire your talking about, mine doesnt have a band expander just the two standard plugs.
                The way I understand the diagrams Ive got is:
                pink-blue stripe=signal for the amp
                black-red stripe=signal for the aerial
                with the radio on both should produce 12v
                with the cd player on only the pink-blue wire should produce 12v
                Im getting 0v out of these at the head unit which suggests the switches/realys inside the headunit responsible for the signal have failed.
                What I have done is put a jumper from the ign 12v(grey wire) to the amp signal(pink-blue wire) on the back of the plug the only downside is the amps will always be live with the ign on even if the radio is off. since the radio is always on while im driving its not a problem for me when I get a new headunit ill wire it up properly.

Ollie

Comment

Here's what I was trying to explain, though it's pretty hard in text.

Toyota link I think your missing?

Toyota link I think your missing?

Hope this helps

peace
                  cal
                  Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the pics Cal.
                    Mine looks nothing like that as im still running a completly stock system. The white plugs your adaptor plugs into are what plugs into the back of my head unit except my plugs are blue. The wires on the other side of the plug to the blue ones on your pic are the ones not getting any voltage from the head unit.
                    Hope that makes sense Ill try get som pics at lunch to show what I mean.

Thanks

Ollie

Comment

Got a pic

Pretty self explanatory. The blue connector and wire were alredy there I just stripped the end of the blue wire and shoved it down the side of the pink one and hey presto rear speakers worked.

Ollie

Comment

Thanks guys, when I got my truck there was no stereo and the wires were chopped, although neither of those two wores were connected (amp or aerial) my rear speakers have always been fine?!

Got my aerial working thanks to this thread (I've only had the thing 2 years!!)
                        I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Who ever modified your stero originally may have bypassed the amps if there are aftermarket rears in there.

Ollie

Comment

Originally posted by OllieNZ View Post
                            Who ever modified your stero originally may have bypassed the amps if there are aftermarket rears in there.

Ollie
                            Good point, I'm gonna check when I fit the 6x9's!
                            I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

dont forget the rear amplifiers !

A little off topic but this one stung me....

Just installed the latest JVC bluetooth head unit and had a lot of trouble with the rear speakers.
                              My previous unit was a Sony (horrible) and the loom for it was all over the place.
                              I forgot (or rather i didn't really know) that the rear speakers have their own amplifiers as a factory standard (1991 SSR-X) and require direct power to them running from the head unit itself (rem amp wire).

Just thought id post this up as i was effing around with it for about 5-6 hrs last night and getting no where until i read it on a Volkswagen website !
                              4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

Working...
                              X