Electrical fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical fault

Hi all, been looking round the site and it is impressive. I would like to pick someones brains, I have a 3.0td automatic surf, the kzn185.I have a problem with it, the speedo and rev counter,clock,stereo and most other items, when running, none of the above work and the temp guage goes of the scale, when the brake is pushed, the engine stops.When you turn the ignition off and back on again, everthing works untill you start it and its running. I guess its a relay somewhere but i cant seem to find a dodgy one. It starts and run fine but now it cuts out sometimes when driving.

HELP, its doing my head in. Look forward to your replies.

Cheers. Rob.

Hi and welcome mate

You say you can't find a faulty relay but have you checked all the fuses as well (long shot that one). Have any modifications been done just before this fault appeared, if so then it's back tracking time, also you could see if there are any others near you with your truck, maybe pop your ECU into their's to see if it's working properly and rule that out.
    Also you say that the temp guage shoots off the scale, it maybe a related issue to the rest of the problems but i take it you have checked the cooling system to be sure.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to suggest some other things, I haven't heard off all these things failing at once though.
    Neal

Comment

my 2.4 did wierd dash light stuff, but not as impressive as yours! it was a faulty altenator. however, as i said, it didnt do the mad stuff yours is doing, so I offer this only as an example of electrical faults.

so, just to clarify...

when it cuts out, does it behave exactly as if you turn the ignition off?

when it IS running, and cuts out, does it splutter, or just die? (could be the fuel pump which is electrical stopping)

are your batteries BOTH good (if you have 2)

when you put the key in 'on' but before you start it, or if started, before it warms up, does the temp guage shoot up (i.e. when you KNOW the truck is cold)?

When you press the brake, does it stall stop, or electrically cut out? is there a button behind the brake pedal that turns brake light on on braking? if so, depress that by hand (i.e. NOT using the brake) - does this kill the engine? - take the brake light bulbs out to break the circuit, does the engine still cut on 'braking'?

I wonder if yourve got a short behind the dash on in the loom in the engine bay?
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Maybe of some interest to you. Similar, but not exactly the same symptoms.

Comment

Found it....!

Hi all, thanks for all your help, I did finally trace the fault to a wire in the loom under the bonnet just before the fuse box, did the wiggle everthing trick and actually managed to wiggle some wires which cut the car out. Bit of luck i think, theres a bunch of wires which turn 90 degrees to the fuse box and one wire was nigh on broken through so I cut and rejoined it, problem solved.

Good luck to you all, regards. Rob.

Comment

Glad you sorted it, easy fixes are always a relief to the wallet .
            Neal

Comment

Working...
            X