Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear De-fog

OK-- i'm stumped ( not unusual)
    my rear screen de-fogger has not worked for ages(if ever)
    So, took the rear door card off to have a look.
    found the terminals at the bottom of the glass,NOTHING connected!!!!
    Looked in the bottom of the door and fund two bare ended wires . (sheathed and connected to the loom!)
    Checked the fuse, and switch (both ok)
    Put a multimeter on them, Cant get any voltage from either.
    1) anyone know if these are the correct wires for the defogger?
    2) Anyone know what voltage i should be getting from .......
    i) Black cable (surely should go to earth)
    ii) White cable with red stripe round it.

Any help gratefully recieved!!!

Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

not sure about surfs, but most cars also have a relay to either switch the load or also to act as a timer. i am sure some one else will know.
    also i think this link will have wiring diagramhttp://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads.htm
    Last edited by firestorm; 3 January 2009, 20:43.

Comment

looked thrumost of them, and have a wiring diagram on cd.
      Diagram is nt very clear.
      will have another look in a minute1
      Thanks
      Alan

Comment

Hi
        according to the diagram their is a relay, not sure whear its located though.

Comment

just found this on google search.

"The relays are behind the panel rear near side, but the most common thing is broken wires where it goes into the tailgate,
          also their seems to be some type of limit switch connected to the door, so you cant operate the window with the door open. (makes no sence to me as ive only had a gen3) but it may be worh closing the door and checking the voltage to the demister, just incase the limit switch cuts out the demister.
          Last edited by firestorm; 3 January 2009, 21:42.

Comment

Thanks Firestorm
            There is indeed a relay on the diagram, Will take a look behind the rear trim tomorow.
            Have had a look for broken wires, cant find any so far!

Alan

Comment

All the information you need to locate relays etc is avilable HERE and HERE no need for Google.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

alan the demister won't operate unless the tailgate is closed and the window fully raised so it'll be a case of climbing in the back and testing from inside, or closing the latches on the side of the tailgate with a screwdriver and raising the glass with it open, be sure to keep the glass supported if you do it that way.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

cheers guys, tested it with the latches closed yesterday, but glass only about half way out. Will try again in a minute from inside with the window closed properly!

Alan

Comment

Just been out for a good look!
                    White cable has a black line down it and red stripes round it at regular intervals.
                    Black cable has red stripes at reg intervals.

Traced via continuity test.
                    White cable goes to earth.
                    Black cable should be live feed!!!!
                    Still can't get any voltage reading from black cable, diagram shows this goes to the fuse and not the relay, so next step is to check continuity of black from fuse to door ?
                    Hopefully i'll check that next, after a coffee and a warm up!

Alan

Comment

you are right, the relay is located before the fuse,
                      If you check you have power to the fuse then you can discount the relay,
                      if you find a continuity break in the wire your testing. i would try and locate the wire around the rear wing area. stick a small pin into the wire and check continuity from the pin to the fuse. then from the pin to the tail that should connect to the demister.

Comment

Originally posted by firestorm View Post
                        if you find a continuity break in the wire your testing. i would try and locate the wire around the rear wing area. stick a small pin into the wire and check continuity from the pin to the fuse. then from the pin to the tail that should connect to the demister.
                        Cheers dude , just about to do that now.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by firestorm View Post
                          I'd not bother faffing about trying to find the break, if there's power before and after the fuse, replace the cable. Will only take 10 minutes.

The break will be after or as the cable leaves the main body.
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Sorted
                            Broken cable, as usual just on the bendy bit exiting the tailgate.
                            Replaced cable, re-attatched to glass, bob' ur uncle.

Alan

Front de-mister next weekend( flap not moving all the way)
                            Then sort the coolant pipes. (rear heater not hot at all)

Thanks everyone
                            (Albanach, your pin in the cable was a cracker of an idea, but i never got that far, the cable came away in my hand!)

Comment

hi guys

its 2am and trying to research some answers in order to prep as im having a car day tomoz and getting all those jobs on the wish list done

can somone please elaberate on the location of both the fuse and the relay for the rear demister.( light on dash lights up so assuming thats ok also checked the wires are connected but nothing on meter i have read that they are prone to breaking but what to check fuse and relay first

other jos on the list roof spots, new front spots, headlight bulb upgrade and poss wiring upgrade we will see, coolant change (poss bleed mod hopefully sorted the cool heaters and gurgling sound when under load), dash lights cleaned/replaced along with switches, reversing spot rear de-mister storted fixing rear window elec window as seems to have come off its bracket. tailgate window service as slow up and down, invstigate parking light staying on unless i conect the trailor and disconnect suspect bad earth on towing elecs

well ok maybe not all the wishlist but should keep me going

cheers guys
                              Last edited by BAV1; 14 January 2009, 02:59.

Comment

Working...
                              X