yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent! Dash lights on, despite new alternator!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent! Dash lights on, despite new alternator!

Evening kind and helpful souls!

OK, I've searched and researched and am still stuck!

I have a 1990 LN130 2.4 TD and it recently lit up the dash lights (turbo red/green + battery + tbelt + coolant). Reading the forums suggested Alternator fault - testing the voltage confirmed no charge. So I ordered a new one £135 delivered from alternator mart, and it was fitted today. We now get a charge (14v) at around 2000rpm, but all the lights are still on!

Next check is to do some earth bond checks for the engine to chassis.

Does anyone else have any suggestions please! Scratching head, losing hair, patience, and will to live...

By the way, when I remove the 7.5A fuse, all the lights go off as expected.

Anyone have any guidance on the multiplug that is connected to the alternator?

Very much appreciate any help.

Cheers
    Pete

Are the batteries okay?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
      Are the batteries okay?
      hi

Yep the batteries were new last year. Showing 12.2v but will check each separately this am.

Any other thoughts!? i'm desperate as MOT also due!!!

Comment

Earth from Alternator to body connected?

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
          Earth from Alternator to body connected?

Nev
          Hi Nev,

Didn't see one! nor on the old alt. Wouldn't this just be part of the engine earth?
          We're going to try and connect a fly lead from alt to battery (both +ve and earths) other than that, I can only think dash panel earth or dodgy pins on that multi plug?

cheers pete

Comment

Think it's a duff unit / certainly not happy now! Was not outputting more than 12.9v and now not giving any output! Had a small puff of smoke before it expired.

The old unit had the following on it 27040 541-51 100213-1180

Not sure what to do next, guess I will see what the supplier says...

Comment

Have you tried disconnecting the aslternator and checking if the battery light comes on. It should stay off with the alternator disconnected. Shorting the thinner wires to earth (ususlly blue, but not sure about Toyotas) should put the light on with the ignition on. If this is not working then the alternator will not start charging.

Comment

Working...
              X