Damned Aeriel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damned Aeriel!

Anyone any ideas what I may or may not have done with my radio/aeriel?
    Drove to the shop radio worked fine, came back to the Surf, turned ignition on etc, no aeriel, no radio!. Its the Sony multi cd/radio system with TA etc, I did have a play the day before trying to familiarise my self with all the buttons, but didn't think I'd altered any thing, but now no station is showing in the display when I try to select tuner, and the aeriel does not come out, tried turning TA on/off, as I read some thread that suggests it is linked to turning the aeriel auto erect on/off, but unless I'm doing it wrong it does not seem to do the trick! No previous problems up to date. I put a question to Sounds Digital thread, but I was hopping for a broader response, sorry Sounds Digital, but I will try the fuse you mentioned, not had time to try and check that out yet! Does any one know how to check the relay out?

Originally posted by swampy View Post
    Anyone any ideas what I may or may not have done with my radio/aeriel?
    Drove to the shop radio worked fine, came back to the Surf, turned ignition on etc, no aeriel, no radio!. Its the Sony multi cd/radio system with TA etc, I did have a play the day before trying to familiarise my self with all the buttons, but didn't think I'd altered any thing, but now no station is showing in the display when I try to select tuner, and the aeriel does not come out, tried turning TA on/off, as I read some thread that suggests it is linked to turning the aeriel auto erect on/off, but unless I'm doing it wrong it does not seem to do the trick! No previous problems up to date. I put a question to Sounds Digital thread, but I was hopping for a broader response, sorry Sounds Digital, but I will try the fuse you mentioned, not had time to try and check that out yet! Does any one know how to check the relay out?
    do you have power to the unit? if not check to see if the cig lighter and mirrors work, if not you have blown the 10amp fuse in the drivers footwell. failing that disconnect the battery for a few mins this will reset the unit.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Sounds silly but if you have the unit in the "cd" mode or "aux" the radio
      side of the tuner will not opperate and the aerial will not also opperate.

Check if the "cd" side of things work, if it is ok then try switching back to
      the radio and see what happens . you may have a cd stuck .

All the best Chris
      GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Ta for the tips, c.d 'SEEEMS' to be working o.k, plays one c.d. then changes to the next and so on, don't know about the aux. thing, mirrors were working, retract ok, etc, as for the fag lighter, well, there is a 'knob' for one, but it would appear someone has had the 'guts' of it away, as there is nothing in it when I pull the lighter out! Will check the fuse, if all else fails, I will try the battery trick and see what happens, is there not a reset switch somewhere, I seem to remember seeing something about it in the hand book?
        Can anybody briefly tell me how the front L/H wheel arch cover comes off to take a look see at the aeriel itself if need be?
        Last edited by swampy; 2 May 2008, 12:33. Reason: late question!

Comment

Dont know on your modle, on the 2nd gen the inner plastic arch is
          held in by bolts to the outter wing, have a listen when you turn the
          radio on , the should hear the relay click on or off that should suppy
          the power to the aerial .
          You seem to have power to the unit as you can uae the CD part ?

Chris
          GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Cracked it!! cheers Charvell, disconecting the battery was the simplest check, and for some reason it worked. Goes up and down like a good 'un now, but I've no idea as to why it stopped working in the first place. Seems like I won't need to take the inner wing off after all, ta for the info Poppy.

Comment

This was a little trick that the Japanese trainers taught the maintenance workers at Toyota UK, if all else fails then power down, this resets all electronic bits and unlatches the software system, that was 13 years ago and it is still to this day it is referred to as a “Japanese reset”
              Roy
              When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Working...
              X