occasional starting glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• occasional starting glitch

This is one of those frustrating ones..the sort of thing that's all or nothing..you think it's gone away, then returns to bite yer bum when you've just kinda forgetting about it..

Six, or more weeks ago, i knocked off the immobiliser, put the key in, gave it the usual lag for the plugs to heat up nicely and went to fire her up..a loud clunk as the engine turned briefly, then all was silent once more..i returned the key to the off position, turned it again, all the lights were showing brightly on the dash, glowplug light out..wait...wait..turn, and started without drama..now i'm thinking i imagined it!

three weeks ago..having been fine..again, first start of the day..turn the key.."clunk"..second turn, she kinda rotates, but not enough to explode the fuel..then with the key still wound to the stops, it faded away..the third turn however, resulted in the engine spinning at speed, and lighting on the second turn..now i'm thinking "cracked head, coolant gushing into cylinder head causing the engine to lock on the upstroke of the affected piston..second stroke might have cleared it enough to fire on the third" ok..i've got a vivid imagination, and a capacity to always look on the dark side first..

Recalling my earlier battery saga, i checked the battery contents, attempted to wiggle the tight terminals (the cause of my previous starting issue), then ordered a starter motor repair kit from Roughtrax..

Its been fine, without any further action being neccessary..starts like a demon..except for this morning..again, the first start..no clunk this time..maybe a click from the relay, but not engine or starter..just, erm, nothing..even though the lights are glowing good, and the needle on the volt thingy is pointing in the right direction..second turn coaxes a token effort and the third turn sets up a series of events culminating in a clean, efficient start..

the things in common seem to be this..it starts third time when its playing up..other than that, it starts very efficiently..once started, there are no further pauses etc on subsequent starts..other than after a period of weeks..the dash lights are always bright..but i cannot say wether they dim on turning the key during the "playing up phase" as i'm usuallt too shocked to notice..all dodgy starts have been morning starts..(not that i'm blaming mornings of course, but you know what i mean)

I'm going to get new batteries anyway..one is still an origional, so i guess another winter might take its toll..About a year ago, i had a new ignition barrel put in by Toyota, after getting my key well and truely jammed!

But..is there anything in my description that strikes a chord with you fellas? cause frankly, i don't know what to think..If i replace the batteries, i'm sure she'll start well, but i guess she'll also fire up without drama if i were to empty the ashtray..

as always..any pointers will be appreciated.

Have you checked and cleaned the main earth strap from the battery, where it connects to the chassis? Tis a common fault in all makes of car, and gives the symptoms you describe.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

check and clean the battery terminals and make sure the connectors are on tight as i had this problem a few months ago.One minuit i can start it and a while later it wont so give that a try also
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

check the internal wiring on the starter,mine broke down on the plains in salisbury had to remove and pull starter apart there and then as a lot of you will remember. found out it was a loose connection on the inside of the starter.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Oookay guys..thanks for that input..Before checking the replies, i did take the car to a local motor factors. Actually, i was hoping to get a price for batteries, but on explaining the symptoms, the owner said he'd run a "drop check?". Anyway, the upshot of that was, the batteries were declared fit..600 was mentioned, but as to what it meant escapes me..I did wonder however, as to wether that reading was valid, as i do recal it being said, the batteries should be isolated from eachother before checking? Added to that, when i called upon the services of the AA due to a non starter, he too announced the batteries were good..only in that instance, it did turn out to be a low cell, or loose connection..(could have been either/both)

The battery change is something i'll do next week..At that time, i'll be able to clean and tighten the terminals..Even if it's not battery related, it's still bugging me that the ole bus is running on an origional of 14 year vintage..I guess a couple of shiny one's wouldn't go amiss.

As for the starter motor..Well, i did buy the repair kit from Roughtrax, just in case..I hope its not that, as i'm not really confident about tackling the job myself..but time will tell..Toyota did fit a new ignition barrel, and it did cross my mind that something might be amiss there? but i'm clutching at straws.there seems to be a lot of electrical thingies betwixt key and motor!

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Oh, as an afterthought..the earth strap "looks" clean..but i will give it another look and tighten..I guess its the short wire that runs from the driver side battery to the inner wing, right?
          Last edited by mickey; 19 August 2007, 12:33.

Comment

Working...
          X